Thursday, February 21, 2008

Routes

I have come across a new law of nature and I will call it gawker's law, assuming that no one else has had the free time on their hands to postulate it yet. It goes as follows :

"No matter how many different routes you take to work, they will all consume approximately equal amounts of time, all of which exceed the amount of time that you think they ideally should."

I have tried 4 different ways of going to work and they all cost me 30 minutes. Having performed all kinds of complex traffic, speed and school-zone restricted speed limit-based calculations, I believe that it should rightfully take me a mere 25 minutes to go to work. Therefore, the search for that elusive 25 minute work-route continues. Some day when it is a government holiday, I shall find it.

4 comments:

Lara said...

Corollary of Murphy's Law?

gawker said...

Yes. Murphy had too much on his plate. I thought I would offer my own plate to help.

Vivek Kumar said...

So true. I experienced it in Moscow. The only difference was than in place of a gap of 5 mins between the expected and actual time, the gap was 60 minutes.

Anonymous said...

But if you do it on a government holiday, you'd have to make considerations of not having a rush hour. Probably.