Monday, February 18, 2008

Lunar dried shrimp noodles with oyster mushrooms eclipse

Today at 8:45 pm, I went outside on my deck. I was afraid it would be cloudy, but it wasn't. I bundled up in my UMass jacket, the only thing that can keep me warm at the bottom of the ocean. I took plastic garbage bags with me because it had rained. I placed those garbage bags carefully on my deck chair. I took a bottle of Smirnoff vodka to accompany me because it was cold. I made myself comfortable. I cleaned my binoculars, adjusted their focus and called up zambezi to find out if he was also on his deck. Oh I forgot, he doesn't have a deck haha. Zambezi didn't answer the phone. He probably has caller ID. I sat on my chair and waited. The moon was bright and full.

At 9:00 pm, the moon was still bright and full. I went inside and logged on to my computer. I reread this blogpost. Alright, it was on Wednesday and not tonight. So, instead of stabbing myself in the chest with the vodka bottle, I went and cooked dinner. I made dried shrimp and oyster mushroom noodles.

Ingredients:
1/2 bag of dried shrimp
1 pack of oyster mushrooms
Chinese chilli paste, 2 tablespoons
4 green chillies
1 pack of one minute Chinese egg noodles
1 cup chopped cilantro
2 cups chopped scallions, hold the rap
1/2 cup soy sauce
1 tablespoon sesame oil
2 cloves garlic

Heat a cup of water in the microwave till it boils. Pour it in a bowl. Add dried shrimp to the bowl. Soak for ten minutes.

Put some water on the boil in a pasta pot. Let's say 4 cups. Let's also say that I am probably guessing because who the hell measures water?

Chop garlic. Chop scallions. Chop cilantro. Chop green chillies. Quick. Chop chop.

Heat sesame oil in a wok on medium heat. Try to keep yourself from repeating the word "wok" just because you are intrigued by how it sounds.

Add garlic, one cup of scallions, oyster mushrooms, green chillies to the oil. Stir fry for a couple of minutes. Add dried shrimp. Stir fry for about 5 more minutes, give or take 10.

Add soy sauce and two tablespoons of red chilli paste. Stir it into the mix.

If the pasta pot is boiling, pour Chinese noodles into it. Wait for a couple of minutes, then drain them. Pour them into the wok.

Stir everything together so intimately that the mushrooms and shrimp have a baby with the noodles and call it Ling. Top everything off with the remaining cup of scallions and cilantro.

Delicious noodles for two are ready for consumption by one because it is only me here. Enjoy with Tsingtao beer.

Watch the eclipse on Wednesday.

6 comments:

Patrix said...

Oops! Sorry. I should have probably put the date in bold. I nearly thought it was today when I first read about it.

anantha said...

Whew! I thought I was the only one that overlooked the "wednesday" on Patrix's post! :D

I went on google and found moon rise times and all. I even left a comment on his blog saying that the weather here in Jersey is cloudy. And then i re-read after a couple of hours and this time noticed "Wednesday".

Unknown said...

patrix is to blame. hope you're not feeling too stupid, this once. :p

gawker said...

Patrix : hehe. gotta make your blogposts idiot proof man, otherwise people like me could have stayed up all night waiting for the moon to set.

anti : I was wondering if you did it too when I saw your comment on Patrix's blog. But at least you reread the post right then.

TGFI : Actually this feeling of stupidity that I have is fairly generic and not based on any incident in particular.

Anonymous said...

Damn! I'm stuck with "wok" for the whole day. Why did u have to mention it specifically? My subconcious mind is going "wok Wok" all the time. I can't wok i mean work in peace. Guess i'm gonna take a wok.. err, walk to clear my mind.

gawker said...

Well at least its a simple word like wok and not something complicated like, say, anthropomorphism. That word running all day through my mind would probably make me feel suicidal.