Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Indian television

We took this opportunity of our move to switch to DirecTV. Not just because Comcast was stealing my pants and was asking for my shirt after I ran out of pants, but also because my wife wished to partake of Indian programming. So now we have two satellite dishes on our roof which allows the aliens to transmit their mind-controlling signals into our brains in 1080i high definition. Apart from alien mind-controlling signals, we now also receive Star Plus, Star One, Doordarshan, NDTV, Star Nyuz (which is how they write it in Hindi) and something called Cricket Plus which allows me the luxury of watching live cricket matches between the Dominican Republic and The British Virgin Islands, yes, I said live. I don't know about you but I don't think I could wait till tomorrow to find out the Dominican Republic - British Virgin Islands score, hell no.

It's been a while since I watched Indian television and everything feels very different. For one, I could not help but be surprised at how young everybody on Indian airwaves is. Here in the US, most television anchors, reporters, etc are on an average, about forty - fifty years old and the only people who are younger are on Comedy Central. On the other hand, the average age on Indian television has to be about eighteen. It's amazing. It's like someone threw all those broadcasting jobs up in the air and said okay, whoever catches 'em can keep 'em. And while the old veteran broadcasters were looking around searching for their canes and eyeglasses, the young people, being nimble of ankle, supple of thigh and perky of breast, and who could jump higher and faster than those older guys, were successful in capturing all those broadcasting positions.

It is very disconcerting to watch a news channel where everybody appears to be younger than you, especially when you're not that old. How can that little girl know more about weather than I, you think. After all, you've been surfing weather.com from before she was born. It feels like a media being run by children. Which is actually not a bad thing when you come to think of it. Hopefully these kids still have the baby fat of idealism under their lovely smooth skins. And although I am fairly positive that someday they will grow up and sell their souls to whatever evil force it is that controls Rupert Murdoch's cortex, today is hopefully not that day.

It is also strange the way India does reality TV. Now by definition, reality TV needs to be real and devoid of any kind of outside interference. But Indian producers do not appear to be aware of that fact. Let me give you an example. On Star Voice of India (the twentieth different Indian offshoot of American Idol), whenever a singer falters or loses his or her voice or forgets the lyrics, the producer behind the scene adds the sound of explosive thunder to the proceedings. It's as if we viewers cannot be adequately trusted to grasp the drama of the situation due to our feeble intellect and therefore, have to be made aware of it and guided to it through the use of external audio stimulii like explosive thunder.

I am also concerned by the widespread abuse of slow motion imagery in Indian television. It so happened that somebody in the industry came upon a button, a magical button that could play video back at a slower frame-rate. And then in no time, this button became the hot technology of our generation. It made a lot of sense to utilize this technology to the hilt in reality TV, even though reality does not actually move in slow motion. After carrying out a considerable amount of research on this topic, it was concluded that the image of a person clapping his hands in slow motion is infinitely more dramatic than that of the same person clapping his hands in real time. And the act of someone walking to the podium to accept an award needs to be savored more fully by reducing the speed of that person's gait through the use of this button. Even the simple nondescript act of someone blinking in order to hydrate their eyeball, it was discovered, could be made acutely electrifying by chronicling the travel of the eyelid in minute detail as it descended towards who knows what fate, perhaps a collision with the upper cheek?

I think that the problem here is that we Indians, through regular doses of Bollywood slapstick and over-acting administered to us throughout our lifetimes, have become so inured and desensitized to drama that we literally need someone to slap us with a stick before we can grasp any kind of subtlety in a situation. Or, at least, that is the opinion Indian television bigwigs have of us. And I guess it's probably accurate.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please don't get addicted to the soaps!!!

gawker said...

Maybe if they are good enough to get addicted to, I should start checking them out.

Anonymous said...

For your information (and you probably already know it), the Star Voice of India is not an off-shoot of American Idol, but Zee's SaReGaMa, which was way before American Idol even came on the scene ... perhaps American Idol is an off-shoot of SaReGaMa ...
-MK

gawker said...

I didn't know viewers could vote for the singers in Sa Re Ga Ma.

Anonymous said...

Have you watched the soaps yet - the slo-mo button is not even used: the actors take it upon themselves!! I think I watched one where the entire episode (interrupted by a dozen commercial breaks) consisted of a heavily bejeweled actress turning her head from the right to the left (with the appropriate dramatic music in the background of course)

Anonymous said...

Whatever dude, but if you want to relieve your stress after a hard day at work, i suggest you get hooked on to any Aruna Irani dramedies.

Now this woman concurs stories spanning times, generations and genetics.... rebirth, snake-into-man, woman-into-snake, 3 snake-women trying to sip one man's semen... u name it. Nothing works like a potent Aruna Irani hehe.

Raj said...

gawker, that was a brilliant post. I think your new house is doing you a lot of good.

Anonymous said...

How come you missed the MTV roadies auditions? That is something worth watching..


And of course there is Annnnuuu ki ho gayi wah bhai wah, in which Mr. US return comes back without an MBA but doesnt tell his dad and is out to ruin his restaurant business. And Annnnu is a girl posing as a sardar. I dont think you can find such madness on any US soap.

gawker said...

bongo : no I still have to immerse myself fully into the soap watching experience. What is the name of the one you mentioned? Maybe I can put it on my watching list.

Suporemus : Well, as long as Aruna Irani doesn't show snakes spitting out semen, it could still be watchable.

raj : Thank you. Yes my house has an amazing sense of humor.

sqrl : You know what, I watched the Roadies show and what the fuck is with that show? Really, what is it about? To me it seems like a couple of jackasses trying to look cool by being foul-mouthed and abusing people. Come to think of it, they sound a lot like me.

Anonymous said...

Gawker: I dont remember - but it doesnt matter. Just choose any soap that begins with K.

RobRoy said...

Buy some pants, woulda? It's freakin' winter time!

(I have no knowledge of Indian TV.)

zambezi said...

what are you paying for dish tv and where do you get your internet from? it was good cycling last weekend with you.

gawker said...

bongo : I bet you it is the one called "karam apna apna". The trailer itself speaks of potential head-turning possiblities.

robroy : I will wear pants and be your eyes, ears and prostate in the world of Indian television.

zambezi : it is direcTV and I get my net from verizon. I will know how much I pay when I get my first bill. IT was great biking with you and next time we should do it for real.