Monday, February 25, 2008

Oscars

Review in short :

Bare bones show, refreshingly low-key and devoid of its usual self-indulgent pomp and pageantry which allowed the peasant class to watch it without becoming aware of our own grime and unworthiness.

Glowing women. Glowing Daniel Day Lewis. Somewhere inside that painstakingly crafted sculpture lies a man, or so the story goes.

Javier Bardem. You are not as scary in person. In fact, you look like you could be trusted with a newborn puppy.

The Coen Brothers. Joel Coen, least interested multiple-Oscar winner. Ethan Coen, achiever of highest laughter to words ratio.

Walkway to the podium : problematic.

Helen Mirren's deliberate invocation of the word "cojones" : priceless.

Jon Stewart : extremely funny but more importantly, classy and kind.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

(Unrelated comment) Thanks to Hangman on your blog, I learnt this word today. You deserve the highest condemnation...oops sorry, commendation, for being both entertaining and educative.

ano

gawker said...

You are welcome. I feel like how asbestos must have felt when it turned out that not only was it insulating people's houses, it was also giving them cancer.

Unknown said...

oh i love the hangman too!

RobRoy said...

Hangman won't function on my work computer. Clearly, they do not know how this makes me an outcast on "A Goose Egg". I will now hang my own head in shame.

gawker said...

Maybe I should put hangman on my front page and blogposts in that small rectangular area on the side.