Tuesday, March 10, 2009

heydagoodagadi

Our office building has an evening janitor whom I bump into every single day as I'm running downstairs after the day's work is done. Very friendly elderly fellow and always greets me when I meet him. The only problem is, I still don't know what he's been saying to me as a greeting. This is because when I see him and I say "Hey, how you doing", he doesn't wait for the closing notes of my "doing" to die down before he commences his own greeting. In fact, he carefully times his own greeting to begin at the precise moment when I say my "Hey". As a result, what I've been hearing till now as a combined cacophony of our two greetings can be phonetically described as "heydagoodagadi". I'm still trying to figure out which part is mine and, thereby, isolate his vocal frequencies from the mix. For all I know, he might have been asking me to go fuck myself. I hope not because I've given this guy considerable love over the years.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

he's probably saying "have a good day"

and you say "hey, how are you doing?" everyday?

gawker said...

Yeah, either that or "You're a good dog".

Yes, I say the exact same thing to him. It saves me from trying to come up with a different greeting everyday. Plus, neither of us is hearing what the other one is saying anyways.

zambezi said...

take mccain off you stupid marathi.

gawker said...

Let the old man be. BAC on the rise.

zambezi said...

maybe for you. i am yet to see light my friend and it seems a long way.

gawker said...

i haven't seen light either. But at least it isn't in my head anymore.