Thursday, June 15, 2006

I was a good friend in my dreams

Last night I helped a very good friend of mine exhume a corpse. It was surprising to me because under normal circumstances I would have expected him to request my assistance in burying a corpse, not digging one up. I was squeamish at first because I have seen exhumed corpses on tv and they are not pretty or maybe it was that I have only seen the ugly ones. And they smell because they haven't showered for several days.

And I wanted to tell my friend that it had been nice knowing him all this while but digging up corpses was not something I had ever envisioned myself doing even in my dreams and that now it was time for us to go our separate ways. But then I remembered how he had put up with me and my wife for over a month after I had lost my job and I had no money, nowhere to live and nothing to drink and my heart melted.

So I walked back to him standing forlorn over the hole that wasn't yet there. "Give me that shovel", I said to him gently and began digging up the asphalt, for strangely enough, it was in the middle of a parking lot that my friend had hidden his bounty. He was always a bizarre one.

3 comments:

Anurag said...

I can completely understand the feeling of gratitude towards a friend who made sure you had something to drink even though you lost your job. Such moving accounts make me cry a little, and drink a little too.

RobRoy said...

How long did it take you to dig through the asphalt? Or was the body part of the asphalt?

gawker said...

Anurag : when you lose your job the availability of drink assumes greater importance than usual.

robroy : coincidentally the amount of time it took to dig was equal to the time it took me to wake up.