Wednesday, May 06, 2009

School

We did a lot of essay-writing in school during English language class, for which one of the items on the agenda was to pretend you were a tree or a dog or something non-human and write your autobiography. I remember the teachers instructing us clearly and repeatedly that an autobiography should never contain the statement "and then I died". This was because dead things are incapable of communicating their life story from beyond the grave. Apparently a tree or a dog writing its own autobiography was quite believable but a dead tree or a dog doing it? No fucking way. Just too unrealistic.

Some other stuff I learnt in this school :
1.> Eskimos prefer to live in an igloo rather than a brick house because bricks have tiny holes in them through which the cold wind can blow through whereas ice blocks do not.
2.> It was called the Underground Railroad because the slaves used to travel by subway (or, as it was known in the 1800s when it didn't actually exist, the underground railroad)

9 comments:

Pratik Stephen said...

lol... I remember those essays!
The worst were the essays in Marathi (which i suck at). We used to literally mug up 3 entire essays and pray that one of those topics came!

You seem to be from Pune... Which school was this?

gawker said...

I loved writing essays. My teachers hated reading them. I am indeed from Pune. My school was called Abhinav Vidyalay.

Pratik Stephen said...

Aaah... When did you pass out from school? I know a few folks from Abhinav. I'm from Vincents...

Also, I had asked you a couple of weeks back about using your "terrorist/racist jokes" conversation as a guest post on my WITnessed Series.
(I'm still LMAO on that one)

What say?

gawker said...

I passed out in 91, I think. Sure you can use that post, why not?

RukmaniRam said...

i thought eskimos preferred ice blocks to brick because the fire it took to make the bricks would melt everything around them. clearly i was wrong.

so lol at "passed out in 91"! how much did you drink?

gawker said...

91 no...I passed out in 91 drinks.

zambezi said...

home run biatch

gawker said...

Yes, I see that. How much? And which charitable institution?

zambezi said...

its all mine.
no charity.i need charity.