Thursday, April 23, 2009

Your lawn sucks. But there is hope.

In the single year that I have been a home-owner, I have come to realize that an American home-owner's life is basically one characterized by constant suckerhood. After purchasing a home, at some point, you correctly determine that the human race at a molecular level can be classified into two fundamental categories : a> Home-owners and b> People who make money off home-owners. In fact, if you take a close look at all the major US stock indices, you will notice that for the most part, they are comprised of companies engaged solely in the business of trying to separate a home-owner from his cash. Initially, when the recession made its presence felt in this country, I was surprised to know that it was caused by home-owners. Now that I am aware of the huge role my fellow home-owners and I play in propping up the American economy, it all finally makes sense.

A prime player in the home-owner-milking industry is Scotts. Scotts, of course, is the company most renowned for its lawn maintenance products. Now if you are of Indian origin and used to a life bereft of anything green within a 20 km radius around your house, you'll probably say to me, but gawker, I am Indian and therefore, quite used to a life bereft of anything green within a 20 km radius around my house. Why would I even consider buying a Scotts lawncare product? I am quite satisfied with the Saharan ecosystem currently flourishing in my backyard. My wife and kids have already managed to evolve camel-like humps, padded feet and flapped nostrils in order to cope with the parched sandy environment. I don't need Scotts, gawker, please go away.

I will go away, but let me say this, don't underestimate Scotts, my friend. Scotts has a widespread network of undercover lawn spies. The moment they track down a Desi brown-thumbed lawn anarchist such as you, Scotts will quickly purchase the home next to yours and landscape the holy heck out of it. Soon, you will be spending long mournful hours comparing your terrible weed infested yard to the dazzling state-of-the-art lushness that is your neighbor's property. Don't forget, a large part of being Indian involves coveting your neighbor's lungi, his wife and yes, also his yard. It won't be long before you find yourself loitering around in Home Depot or Lowes and buying up everything that has the word "lawn" or "garden" on it.

And Scotts will be more than happy to help. Scotts has a hundred different types of lawn-care products and you are mandated by law to purchase each and every one of them. In early Spring, you will need to use Scott's fertilizer with Halts. It gets rid of something called crabgrass. Crabgrass is not as delicious as it sounds so you need to remove it as soon as possible. This will give you adequate time to prepare yourself for the next tragedy that is about to befall your lawn, which is weeds. Late spring is weed season. This is when you need to use Scotts fertilizer with Plus-2 weed control. That will get rid of dandelions and thistles. Sometimes it also gets rid of the lawn. But hey, don't worry, Scotts is already on it. Here my friend, meet Scotts grass seed. It will grow you a new lawn. But don't forget, grass seed is quite useless by itself. To grow a new lawn in an ISO 9001 certified manner, you also need Scotts starter fertilizer. You see, grass seeds are like babies. They need water, love and their own expensive baby food. They don't cry and keep you awake all night, but not to worry, Scotts is already working on it.

Alright, so your lawn is back up and running but what d'ya know, it is now summer. Summertime has its own problems. Summer is apparently when grubs take over our planet. As always, Scotts is by your side, eager to provide moral and chemical support. Which is in the form of Scotts fertilizer with Summerguard. You don't know what a grub is or what it looks like or why it shouldn't be on your lawn, but isn't it reassuring to know that Scotts is protecting you from that sucker? It sure is!

Finally, when September comes around, you allow yourself to breathe a sigh of relief. You're probably thinking okay, it will soon be winter, my lawn will stop growing and get covered with snow and I can finally quit the second job I had to take in order to pay for all that fertilizer. But you sigh too soon. For fall is the perfect time to make plans for a lush spring lawn. Hey, you can't be too careful, right? It just makes no sense at all, not to use Scotts Winterguard with Plus-2 weed control. It protects your lawn from spring weeds. Yes indeed, Scotts has invented a fertilizer that is so powerful, it will even kill weeds that don't yet exist. If that doesn't qualify for Alfred Nobel's inheritance, I don't know what does. Also, please don't confuse it with regular Scotts fertilizer with Plus-2 weed control. They are totally different. One has the word Winterguard in it, and the other doesn't.

Sometimes, when I have some time to myself between two fertilizer applications, I sit down and ponder. Ask myself questions. Like, why doesn't Scotts add weed killer, crabgrass killer and grub killer to the same fertilizer? Is it because Scotts weed killer is actually an army of grubs that march forth and devour the weeds? Also questions like, how did grass manage to grow before there was Scotts? Why crabgrass? And why do they call pubic lice "crabs"?

But before I can answer any of these questions, it's already time for the next fertilization.

15 comments:

Samatha said...

Don't forget that the crabgrass somehow still manages to grow....and the dandelions and the grubs..they will still be there..I think the pests, weeds, scotts are all in it together :)!

ggop said...

Awesome observations! Imagine my angst at finding my newly laid lawn infested with creatures (I am no animal lover) that dig holes. What are they moles?!

ggop said...

For all things home related always check craigslist for major purchases. It is a known fact suckers like me have sold near brand new equipment there like lawn mowers.

A Motley Tunic said...

By the third spring, you will discover lawn services, shove your pride aside and call one of them. Life is much easier that way! But that will not warrant a post, so.

gawker said...

Samatha : As with all organisms, I think they are evolving Scotts-resistance. I fear someday they will evolve a brain and decide to remove humans from their lawn. Once that happens, I am sure Scotts will come up with an anti-human fertilizer.

ggop : Yes I think they are moles. I have an animal in my lawn who pulls up grass. It could also be my mailman. Why would you sell brand new equipment?

Sowmya : My problem is my lawn isn't big enough to warrant garden services. Otherwise, my pride doesn't take a lot of shoving to fall.

Patrix said...

No mention of the tyrannical homeowners association who force you to maintain your lawn? I wonder how an all-desi homeowner association would work. Elections would be a fun time.

I still remember your post about watering a rather pretty-looking weed flower :)

gawker said...

Yeah, the association can be a pain. Especially since my neighbor is on the association committee. She keeps a close watch on any of my potential transgressions. Funny thing is, she has a terrible lawn with weeds I've never even seen before.

I did the same thing this year too. I kept watering something that was showing signs of having nice flowers and then it took over my entire flower bed with thousands of saplings.

skar said...

Just rent a small space and lead a happy life, or accumulate material possessions and fritter life away in preoccupation with them. Such are the choices.

Pubic lice are called crabs because they make you crabby?

RukmaniRam said...

the scotts guy wears a lungi?

Anonymous said...

great..
http://www.yesdeeracks.com

Anonymous said...

do you mow? i did my first today.
AD

Anonymous said...

My sympathies as a fellow home owner - our neighbor, a plague of pests on his lush lawn (no mere grubs please, only truly exotic ones need apply) rouses a lot of "lawn envy" in the king of our castle :).....but, pray at the Scotts temple to rectify our lawn situation......pleeease, you are kidding right???!!! we are indian!!!

gawker said...

Karthik : I choose frittering. It is more fun.

rukmani : of course. It is the garment best suited for lawn and garden work.

bhad : Yeah, I have to do it every two weeks. It is good fun. How was your first mow?

anonymous : Being king of a castle does come with ego problems with respect to kings of adjacent castles. You always want to have a deeper moat, taller ramparts and lusher lawns.

Shannon said...

I am not sure how I even stumbled across your blog, but I just have to thank you. I have no idea who you are, but I have (sadly) spent the last half hour of my life reading old and new posts and laughing so hard I cry (not in the beginning; but it escalates, you know). I hope you don't mind my snooping and will allow me the pleasure of viewing your blog again. You're like a blogging Mitch Hurwitz, and for that I am grateful.

gawker said...

Thank you Shannon, I appreciate your tears. You may snoop around, but let me just remind you that most of the stuff here is bolted down so people can't steal it.