Thursday, April 02, 2009

Parenting

Last fall, I was driving my parents through Vermont on a foliage-hunting trip, and during a conversation initiated by the sheer overpowering beauty of the place, I randomly mentioned that someday I would like to hang up my keyboard and mouse, buy a house in Vermont and run a bed and breakfast.

The moment I said that, my mom began to look at every subsequent house that we passed on the road in a new light, as the future dwelling and business establishment of her beloved son. She would quickly analyze its advantages and shortcomings with regard to structural integrity, aesthetic appeal, picturesque location, proximity to essential services and the condition of its indoor plumbing fixtures. This was all achieved through a cursory half second inspection of the passing blur. Then, following a fifteen second conference with my dad, she would tender her final recommendation on a possible purchase. She carried on in this vein until finally I had to tell her, mom, I don't know if this will ever happen, I have no money, no green card, I can barely afford my current mortgage and I don't know diddly squat about the hospitality sector. She replied, okay then, we'll do this again later when you're ready. My mom's funny.

I am not sure if I will ever be such a devoted parent to my kids. I can picture my son or daughter telling me that he or she would like to buy a house in Vermont and me replying, "Excellent, I'll come visit you when you're done. Make sure there's beer in the fridge." Are there any good parenting courses one can take online?

8 comments:

Sakshi said...

Follow random mommy blogs or Brittany Spears's life.
Either will teach you how to be a great parent :)

gawker said...

I need a random daddy blog. What's Britney's husband called, maybe he runs a blog for aspiring idiot fathers.

Supremus said...

My friend had a baby few months back; she's already made a decision that when *her* daughter is pregnant, she will still ask her mom (aka, baby's granny) to do the needful care. Welcome to our generation ;).

Preethe said...

The only thing that I do for my son is drop him at school and feed him his dinner.. And the rest all is my father's responsibility.. May be when I would of their age I would be ready to take care of my grand children ...

ggop said...

No courses online but there is a parenthacks.com - maybe some geeks who became parents constructed it. :-)

gawker said...

Supremus : Wow that is some forward thinking.

Preethe : What happens to grandparents who can't have grandkids? Do they adopt?

ggop : It seems a cool website. Some stuff even applies to me.

Bud-Wiser said...

I would pretty much expect same from my son -- to have a beer in the fridge..;-)

xanindia said...

Basing on your opinion, I'm sure you will be a good parent to your children. Keep it up as there is no such thing as a "school to become a good parents".