Monday, October 02, 2006

Fake patriotism

As I was driving home from work, I saw this sign outside a shop :

Exton Glass
Osama Kiss our glass
Fogged Windows we can help

Couldn't have said it better myself, even if I had owned a lot of glass and Osama had just walked into my store and I had caught a reflection of him in all that glass. But I was also disappointed to see the owner of the shop be so ready to unfog Bin Laden's windows for him. Everyone has a price I guess.

This reminded me of that episode of Friends where Monica and Phoebe yell at some people who refuse to pay for their catering services but after the yelling is over, go around distributing their business cards among the guests, asking them to recommend them to their friends.

Asking Osama to kiss the glass and then inquiring whether he has any windows that need to be unfogged just rubbed me the wrong way.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I dont know what bothers me more: they cleaning Osama's windows or u watching Friends.

-naveen.

RobRoy said...

Why would watching "Friends" be disturbing? Three-trillion people watched the show. That's like insulting Vin Diesel or Paul Ruebens.

Kimberly El-Sadek said...

jingo bells jingo bells....

Anonymous said...

something wrong with the comments on your other blog? A blank window pops up when I click on the comments link.

-naveen.

gawker said...

naveen : yes i did engage in a significant amount of mental debate before deciding to out myself as a Friends watcher. After all everyone deserves a second chance in life.

robroy : Out of those three trillion, I alone probably account for one trillion.

lumi : jingo ba

naveen : I get so few comments there that the software probably forgot how to accept comments. I didn't do anything though. Is it fixed now?

Anonymous said...

It is working now.
-naveen.