Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Suspicious Indian

So I went to Pepboys a few weeks ago for an oil change. As I walked up to the counter, I saw there was a line ending in an Indian guy in shorts. As I walked up to the end of the line, he acted as if I was gonna be barging ahead of him in the queue and squeezed closer into the line to clarify his stance with regard to my expected intrusion. Fuck, I thought, these Indians, why do they have to be so competitive in every field? Why can't they trust their fellow men for a change?

So being the possessor of telepathic powers that I am, I mentally said to him, "My friend, I can see that you are standing in line. I understand what the purpose of this line is. And I am not gonna thwart that purpose by stealing your position. So relax and enjoy life without taking any tension."

A few minutes later, I saw a Chinese woman walking up to the line. But before my mind could react, my body had already slithered closer to the rest of the line, closing the gap between me and the other Indian. And then, I heard a voice talking inside my head in Chinese, asking me to relax and not to take any tension.

9 comments:

Anurag said...

Years and years of evolution doesn't go away easily, friend. Now, please excuse me while I post this comment before another Indian does.

Anonymous said...

So how is "tension mat le" said in Chinese? :)

gawker said...

Anurag : haha

anjali : just like in hindi, except you bang on a vessel while saying it.

shakester said...

so friggin true...

Michael Higgins said...

Hi Gawker
I was standing in the visa office of the Indian Consulate waiting to process our visa. We got our tickets but it was standing room only. We waited two hours. In that time, several Indians came up to the only lady who was processing applications to ask if they could just drop off their applications and go. Of course the answer was no. All they were doing was slowing things down.

My wife point out, "These people live in the U.S. They would never dream of doing that in a U.S. govt office. But amongst Indians, they revert to form."

Anonymous said...

gawker - that is how the madrasis do it. was that a chinese or a madrasi? did you look closely enough? or do your rose coloured glasses have a yellow hue?

1diot said...

u bloody shameless, pride raped indians!

Anonymous said...

Oh, but I know you were only making place for her in the line. Wish the Chinese understood us Indians better....we've been all brotherly since 1962 but....

Aquatic Static said...

So brilliant.