Thursday, February 02, 2006

An encounter with the Third Kind

When I visited India this December, on the way I made a stopover in Switzerland, you know, just to be able to write in my resume that yes, I have been to Switzerland, even if it was only for a couple of days. 'Cause boy, if you haven't been to Switzerland, and people who've been to Switzerland come to know about it, they will embark on this lengthy narrative of the time they were there and what they did and why you should really visit this awesome place if you ever go there and why haven't you been there yet, don't you have a sense of adventure at all, are you poor, etc, etc. So the stopover was mostly a tool which would enable me to tell such people to shut the fuck up, that yeah I have, in fact, been to Switzerland.

But it was nice. Yeah, apart from the fact that it snowed all the three days I was there and the glacier I climbed up on top of (by climbing up I mean took a cable car) was so goddamn cold that my tongue got stuck to the roof of my mouth, it was a nice trip. Beautiful glaciers, great mountains and nice food. Speaking of food, anyone who is planning to go to Der Schweiz, here's a tip for you. Bring along with you an idli-dosa making kit and an electric cooking range. 'Cause my God, is the food freaking expensive. And my problem is that whenever I travel somewhere, I like to experience the native culture in its entirety. Which includes the food. So I won't live like a backpacker, you know, go to a McD's or live on toast and jam. I like to go to the neighbourhood restaurants and feed on the local delicacies.

In this case, it was a problem because the food was so costly. So the second day we were there, we decided to have dinner in the hotel lounge. There is some psychopathic section of my brain which somehow manages to convince me everytime I take a vacation or go somewhere that no matter how expensive food might be outside the hotel, the restaurant inside the hotel will sell it to me cheaper since I am staying there. And this, even after finding out that the miniature Jack Daniels in the hotel room cost as much as a real bottle of Jack Daniels would in a liquor store.

So my wife and I, we entered the hotel lounge and were led to our seats. We were then handed the menus, which allowed us to look at them, quickly do a Swiss Franc to dollar conversion and realize that the house of cards I had built in assuming that the food would be cheaper here had just come tumbling down. I had never seen food cost so much anywhere else in the world.

There are two kinds of people in this world, based on their reaction to an overpriced menu in a decent restaurant. The first kind rip their dignity out of its hiding place deep within their souls, skewer it with the steak knife and leave the restaurant, only pausing long enough for their picture to be taken by hotel management in order to be sent to the "Cheapskates Weekly", which is a magazine every restaurant in the world subscribes to.

The other kind, which I belong to, experience a sensation akin to what you would experience if someone tried to steal your wallet out of your pants pocket and managed to steal your pants along with it. A stunned disbelief, followed by a feeling of abject poverty and shame. But, after that initial wallop, we stiffen our lips and go along with it. Hell, if I'm gonna fall off a cliff, I'm gonna enjoy the scenery as I do that. So we drape the napkin over our quaking knees, call the waiter and proceed to order a lavish spread despite the strong dent it's gonna make in our bank balance.

So I ordered the lamb something, my wife ordered the vegetarian something and food was being consumed by both of us, when I observed another Indian couple enter the restaurant. Look at that, I said to my wife, how innocent, how fragile, how hungry they look, little do they know what's in store for them. I was interested in watching their reaction to the menu. What kind of human were they? I was curious. Luckily, they were assigned a table next to us.

The wife went first. Covering her mouth with her hand, no doubt, in order to utter an expletive, she pointed to the menu with eyes rolling around. The husband looked subdued. He read to the end of the menu and then turned it over in a frantic hope that the back of the card held the secret low low costing menu no one else knew about. No such luck. Been there, done that.

The waiter appeared. The husband asked, "Is this all you have?"
The waiter deemed that question unfit to be answered and stayed silent.
After pausing for a while, the husband said, "You know, I'm not very hungry, do you have salads?"
The waiter replied, "Sure, we can make one for you."
The husband said, "How much would it cost?" The waiter told him how much. The husband took a moment to ponder this information.
"Do you have any pastas?"
The waiter pointed to the menu. "Here".
The husband looked at the item he was pointing to and said, "You know, I'm not really that hungry, I don't need all that meat in my pasta."
The waiter, rising to the occasion, said, "Well, we can make a pasta with no meat.
"I don't want vegetables, either", said the husband preemptively.
"You just want steamed pasta?" queried the waiter with a hint of nausea.
"What else can you put on it?", asked the husband.
"Well, we can put some tomato sauce on it. Spaghetti with tomato sauce. Would you like that?", asked the enterprising waiter.
The husband brightened. "Yes, that sounds good. How much would that be? "The waiter told him. Apparently it wasn't that bad 'cause the waiter wrote it down in his notebook.

"And for you, ma'am?", asked the waiter. "I will just have a coke", replied the wife. "Can you bring an extra plate please?"

Brilliant, I said to myself, making a note in my head about this third kind of diner I had just discovered. Got to try this out tomorrow.

But the next day, all my plans pretty much went down the drain because as you know, it's difficult to change oneself. Once a splurger, always a splurger.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

welcome to western europe, my friend! the strange thing is that no one here even bats an eyelid at how much things cost. it's probably because they don't have to save up for their retirement like the rest of us poor unfortunate souls. their govt will not only convince them to retire early but also write out a fat check at the end of it!!

have i mentioned you are hilarious. i crack up every time i read your posts. you are a funny man! (ok, i'll stop stalking you now!)

anjali

Michael Higgins said...

Hi Gawker
How expensive was dinner there?

I was there in 1985 and it was getting a bit expensive even then. I remember going into one restaurant, seeing the prices, and walking right out. And the guy who seats everyone made it a point to catch me on the shoulder and say, "Goodbye" just to make me feel bad.

I ate a lot of fondue in Switzerland because that was one dish that was typically not too expensive.

I saved a lot of money by skipping lunch. I would just get a little snack at the local patisseries or konditerie that were everywhere.

gawker said...

anjali : Thank you again. I think its actually good for food to cost more there because it appears to keep Europeans in shape. In my 3 days there, I didn't see a single obese Swissman or woman.

Michael : Dinner was a cool 75 USD. No soup, no salad, 2 entrees with one vegetarian. And also, a beer and a water. By the way, by default, when you order water, they give you a bottle of water which costs 6 USD. You have to order tap water by saying "I want tap water".

I didn't eat fondue at all. Actually I didn't have any time at all to hunt around for food.

Anonymous said...

Ah,
Not been to the expensive land of Japan, probably. $75 bucks sounds so ridiculously cheap, that I am having trouble actually understanding your outrage. :-). Its been a while since I have had the filling $5 to 6 lunches in the US and sumptious spread of $15-20 for dnner.

Anonymous said...

ah. ok. hmm.
have been all three profiles at different times, actually. Though the third type, i would like to believe, has a possibly subtler version, thank you.

and of course, when you go to a new place, you can't just have bread (unless, I am given to believe, it is paris- but I wouldnt know)

Anonymous said...

I belong to the first group :-)

Anonymous said...

you're seriously funny dude...how come the indians I meet in real life never have any sense of humour?

Anonymous said...

My in-laws own a Middle Eastern restaurant that serves big portions of decently priced food with great service. They are always amazed at the Indians that come in and order a falafel plate which comes with 10 falafel pieces, salad, hummus, and bread. It is not uncommon that 3-4 Indians will share a single falafel plate and ask for a to go box when they leave *lol*