Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Stereotypes

I've come to understand that an average person, when confronted with a mystery, will always gravitate towards an explanation for that mystery which reinforces his stereotypical vision of the world, rather than the explanation that is more logical to the senses.

For example, yesterday I spiked my hair with mousse. Just for the heck of it. And at work, one of my colleagues, who happens to be a nosy character, promptly assailed me.

"Hey what's up with your hair?", he said.
"Why, don't you like it?", I asked him.
"Yeah, it's ok, I guess, but why did you mousse up today?"
"Just felt like it."

Incredulous look.

"No, really, why'd you do it?"
"Today just seemed to be a good day for moussing up", I explained patiently.
"That doesn't make any sense", he persisted.

I gave up.

"Ok, I moussed up because my hair smelt of curry and the only way I could hide that smell was to use mousse", I said with a sigh.
"Ah, ok, Indian curry", he said with a look of enlightenment on his face. "That makes sense".

2 comments:

shakester said...

ha!
sheesh...
hmmm..
ok.enough.

1diot said...

truth is only what you decide to perceive!