Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Okay, God

Okay God, I get the message. You do not approve of me playing the PS3 or watching Blu-ray movies on my 55 inch HD TV or blogging about playing the PS3 and / or watching Blu-ray movies on my 55 inch HD TV. But seriously, oh Shepherd of Mankind, was it really necessary to convey your disapproval of my activities through the delivery of a monster thunderstorm that would generate a power surge gigantic enough to knock out my PS3, 55 inch HD tv and computer? Even when they were turned off? Seems like you really overdid it there, oh Savior of the Weak. Were you entertaining feminine company in your heavenly bachelor pad, the courtship of whom necessitated a show of brute machismo for establishing your manly credentials? Well, in that case, I understand.

But if that wasn't the case, dear Lord of Lords, next time please extend me the courtesy of delivering your messages to me either through the destruction of somebody else's property or through the psychedelic visions of your spokesperson on earth, Mr. George W. Bush. Of course, that is not a direct order, just a humble request.

PS : Since you did not destroy my refrigerator during the storm, I will assume that you do not disapprove of my beef and alcohol consumption.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Uh oh! That's awful. I didn't even know that could happen unless lightning struck somewhere very close by (like, your roof) :(

Is it all beyond repair? Will the insurance Gods step in?

Patrix said...

Ouch! that must have hurt bad. Does home insurance cover lightning surges too? Must protect my wares with a surge protector now.

Partho said...

We commiserate.

Anonymous said...

That must have hurt, but I couldn't help laughing. Nice post.

Abi said...

Tsk, tsk. Sympathies.

Your appeal to God forces me to paraphrase something I read recently: there are no atheists in a destructive thunderstorm ...

gawker said...

lekhni : lightning might have hit my dish antenna. hopefully my warranties should cover me.

patrix : no i don't think it does. that is why you should buy a store warranty. and i had a surge protector in place which turned out to be about as useful as a cock-flavored lollipop.

partho : thank you friend.

madhav : thank you, yes it did hurt.

abi : I am a fair-weather atheist. Just like I am a fair-weather friend, employee, football fan and kite flier.

Anonymous said...

Tsk! Tsk! That is why you should always remove power from the power outlet in such storms :P

PS3 down? that really hurts.... (yeah, TV and other assorted electricals too - but PS3? )

Anonymous said...

wow, that sucks .. hopefully u get some dough back. Hows the family doin? they having fun ? Did your extreme indulgence in Tv and ps3 while they are here led to ignoring them on your part. Maybe they prayed something bad happen to those things so you can give them more time and attention.

gawker said...

Supremus : yeah I know. Apparently my tv manual tells me the same thing.

Luckily I could get my PS3 replaced with a brand new one. I tried to get a newer model but they threw me out of the store.

bhad : Hopefully apart from my computer, everything should get repaired for free. My folks actually find it fun to watch me as I play COD4. Once I was playing Assassin's Creed and kept falling over stuff and my dad asked me, "what is wrong with that fellow"? Apparently he thought I was watching a movie or something.

RobRoy said...

I'm with patrix. Check with your home insurance company. They cover all kinds of loss of property, and this would seem to fall within that.

On the other hand, I no longer need to be impressed by your possession of a PS3 AND a 55-inch television. My PS2 and 45-inch flatscreen are both working quite fine.

Anonymous said...

Just a question. If you used a good power surge protectors, wouldn't they come with a guarantee uptill some xxx amount that nothing will happen to them?

Most of the surge protectors come with gaurantee upto 10000$ or more if your stuff gets burnt....

S

Jeet said...

boy.. that's really bad.. were you able to get some insurance / warranty cover?

Anonymous said...

Man!!.. My deepest condolences!!
Glad to know you got ur PS3 replaced.
But there are some things that money can't buy,..
No, I'm not talking about mastercard.

I'm talking about the saved games on your old PS3. I would die if I lost my saved games. Did you lose 'em too?

T said...

:) nice post...funny even i rationalize like that...