Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Fraud

I finally reached home yesterday late in the evening following a two hour journey by train because as I said earlier, the train follows a route from my workplace to my home that goes through Mexico (God how I love that joke as do you, I hope, because I promise to use it often). I had to use the train because my car was in the dealership.

And when I reached home I saw that I had a voicemail from Discovercard, asking me to give them a call because my recent credit card activity showed that there might be a strong possibility of fraud. I called up immediately because the voicemail was left by someone who sounded as if his dog had just died after swallowing a fraudulently used credit card.

I was connected to a guy who seemed remarkably chirpy for someone whose job was to inform people that somewhere in the world, their credit cards were being used to purchase silk underwear for somebody else's wife. My heart was atwitter and I desperately needed to know how much money I had lost and if I could get it back. After answering numerous questions in order to prove my identity such as name, social security number, home phone number, work phone number, date of birth, mother's maiden name, name father lovingly called mother when he wanted an omlet for breakfast and sister's favorite Johnny Depp movie, the topic finally turned to credit card fraud.

"Would you like to receive future notifications of fraud on your cell phone in text message form?" asked the tech support guy, obviously tickled by his role as Unveiler of Text Messaging Technology to the heathen masses.

"Fuck future text notifications, why don't you first give me my current notification of fraud in human voice form", is what I would have liked to tell him but instead, I just said "Sure" and regretted it in the next instant.

"Who is your cellphone provider", asked the TSG.

"Yargh Cingular", I said. Get on with it already, I said to myself. I could picture fake gawker ordering filet mignons and a round of beers for his criminal associates. "Hey everybody, drinks are on me", he was probably yelling at this very moment, waving my card in the air and getting a round of applause from the drunk freeloaders at the bar.

"Hmm let's see....Ceeeeengular......C e e e e e ngular", sang the tech support guy in a low melodious baritone, I couldn't help thinking, despite my predicament. "Ok here we go, Cingular, yes you're all set for receiving text messages now", said TSG.

Okay, maybe we could talk about the fraudulent charges now?

"Would you like to purchase fraud protection for only 2.99 a month?", continued the TSG.

"No, thank you, I already have fraud protection. Speaking of fraud ...."

"So did you receive a call from us regarding possible fraudulent activity on your credit card?", asked the TSG finally coming to the point.

"Yes, yes."

"Our records show a charge for $ 1780.00 at a Volkswagen dealership. Is that correct?"

Good Lord it sounded even worse from the TSG's mouth. An acute twinge of pain passed through my nose in remembrance.

"Yes, that was me", I said with sadness. Nothing fraudulent about that. At least nothing I could do anything about. But on the bright side, at least I wasn't paying for someone else's silk underwear and filet mignon.

16 comments:

zambezi said...

screw your car. how come you didnt write about those wings we ate?

gawker said...

That is for another time when I get over my emotions of poverty.

Anonymous said...

are you sure you talked to a discover guy? could be a CC scam...and you volunteered your SS number, bank account number etc.

just heard today about a scam going around where people call you saying you have been selected for jury duty and threaten police action if you don't give all the details.

gawker said...

Well, he did know about my car expense so unless the owner of my car dealership moonlights as a credit card scammer, I should be okay.

Kimberly El-Sadek said...

Nothing like rubbing salt in your wounds eh? I think that they just use the opportunity to sell you some service that you will never use. In case you didn't know-if there is fraud on your card you can only be held liable for $50 and most won't even charge you that. Save your $2.99 and go to Subway so you can help support some NRI's family in the motherland rather than the commie financial institutions.

gawker said...

Yeah I probably dont need that 2.99 but they kept calling me up till I subscribed to that service. I think the amount of time I save every month not having to be on the phone, refusing to subscribe is definitely worth 2.99 bucks a month.

sahasra said...

what CC are u using man...cant u check your transactions online?

sinusoidally said...

I mean it is sort of re-assuring that the credit company guys are looking out for you...

Sunil said...

hmm.....your car repairs costs just about as much as my car does.

some life.

gawker said...

ooha : yes but picking up a phone and calling them up seemed to be the less labor-intensive option.

sinusoidally : of course,they have my deepest gratitude. but all i ask is they not try to sell me things when I'm worried.

sunil : I'm pretty sure that my car costs less than its repairs too.

zambezi said...

i dont see anything about the wings and the beer.

RobRoy said...

I don't see anything about wings and beer either, which is originally what brought me to this blog. I feel so . . . used, but oddly in a good way.

gawker said...

zambezi : I'm still trying to come up with an angle that could add a coherent plotline to the relatively bare-bones tale of us eating wings and drinking beer. Mail me if you have any ideas.

robroy : Was that the reason behind your extended absence? Because let me tell you, there are other things to life than wings and beer. There's blue cheese, celery sticks and let's not forget napkins.

RobRoy said...

Extended absense due to illness and vacation, thankfully not at the same time. I thought I sent you the memo?

Mmmmmm . . . bleu cheese!

Anonymous said...

" I ate chicken wings and drank (insert brand)beer"

You can simply cut and paste the portion within quotes and post it as your next blogpost. It might make you seem a little daft, but atleast you will have a (very?)happy friend.

my good deed for the day.

S

gawker said...

robroy : I'm sorry to hear that and I'm happy to hear that, unfortunately both at the same time. And I didn't get the memo. I hear the White House lost it.

S : It did make me seem daft but less daft than zambezi so it's all good.