Friday, April 18, 2008

One Month later

Having owned the PS3 for a month, I have discovered the following.

I appear to be what is known as a PS3fanboy. Although this term is derogatory in nature when applied by members of the general public towards PS3fanboys, when applied by PS3fanboys towards each other, it is a symbol of the brotherhood created through a common goal of defending our 400 dollar investments into PS3 consoles against the enemy of wallet regret.

The code of the PS3fanboys declares, in no uncertain terms that it behooves me to prowl the interwebtubenets and the various forums contained within in search of postings by rival XBox360fanboys and, in the event of encountering a single word against the PS3, spoken, breathed or thought even, return the favor by hurling a generous amount of choice invective against the XBox 360. Various talking points and items of polemic have been made available for my use such as the fact that the XBox cannot and will not ever have the requisite firepower necessary for the really great forthcoming next-generation state-of-the-art games to call it a home, that the XBox 360 is already so far behind the times that the XBox 720 is rumored to be in the works, that the PS3 has won the HD format war nya nya nya nya nya nya and that 2008 is the year for the PS3 to finally break through due to the release of some huge-ass games that will be exclusively available on the PS3. And my personal favorite : XBoxes have a 16% failure rate whereas the PS3 has a 1% failure rate. So there.

I can say with a fair amount of confidence that playing Call of Duty 4 online is more addictive than crack cocaine. And if that is not the case, then goddamn, I've got to try this crack cocaine shit.

n00b tube : Apparently, this is a grenade launcher attachment for a gun used by online n00bs playing Call of Duty 4 for firing grenades at opponents. It is called a n00b tube because it allows a player to inflict maximum amount of damage while exposing his ass to a minimum amount of danger, thus making it compatible with n00b philosophy. The code of the PS3fanboys and also the XBox360fanboys states that using a n00b tube should be frowned upon, discouraged and vilified. It is perhaps the one single thing that unites these two warring nerd factions. I am glad to report that I have coasted through my n00b stage without so much as giving a passing glance to a n00b tube. For this, I deserve special credit which I will now give myself and accept it on my own behalf.

And that is what I've learnt in my one month of PS3 ownership.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

my head asplodes

RobRoy said...

*Cheers*
I love when her head asplodes.

Anonymous said...

you should have got a wii and played re4 with the motion-controllers,instead.

gawker said...

TGFI : Crouch, crouch.

robroy : Isn't that a famous last word?

anonymous : Well, for one, the Wii is unavailable and I was fast losing my youth. And secondly, I love me some good graphics.

Sunil said...

what you need to do while playing call of duty 4 is to master the knife.

a friend of mine is a supreme master at sneaking up from behind, and then knifing me. THAT is skill.

gawker said...

Goddamn I hate people who do that to me. There's nothing more humiliating than to get knifed. It's like the guy is telling me "I am better than you and let me show you the proof by killing you with my bare hands".

Not to say that I haven't knifed people as well. But for that to happen, the guy either has to be
1.> a n00b
2.> lie very still and pretend he doesn't know I am there or
3.> taking a restroom break, leaving his control unattended.

El said...

hilarious!

and i'm a gopher in both but I can assure you this much, video games >>>> (infinitely better) than crack cocaine shit. whitney houston will concur.

gawker said...

el : I concur. But then of course, I've actually played video games but only seen television footage of people doing cocaine. Is Whitney Houston still alive?