Sunday, January 06, 2008

And so I bought a house, or as they call it in the US, a condo.

On the day of the closing, there was a walk-through. We walked through the condo to check if everything was where we had left it. The taps were fine and so were the toilet flushes. Our realtor had asked us to check on the taps and toilet flushes because apparently previous owners of condos are known to sabotage taps and toilet flushes before abandoning their properties. The taps and flushes were fine, I checked them myself after using them. The carpet was also okay. One place on the carpet showcased a yellow stain but it was far to the north to be urine-based so I was not worried. Oxy-something would solve it and urine is better than semen anyways.

But I had more important fish to fry. I walked outside to the woods and the stream for which I would be paying most of my money. I spotted a tree hanging halfway down to the ground. The wood had only a few trees so naturally, I was concerned. The last time I was here, the tree had been proudly erect. Hey, what's with that tree, I asked the owner of the property. She replied that the tree had submitted to the last winter storm. I said okay, but I also warned her that she was treading on thin ice. Very thin ice in a warmish winter. No more halfway trees, warned I. Please rectify the situation. The owner went and tried to push the tree back up, up towards the sky, in an upright position. She tried her best and I appreciated her efforts.

But apart from that, everything else was fine. Maybe the tree would grow back up. Plus the owner had given me a lawnmower and a grill free of charge. Plus a lawn to mow with the lawnmower. Okay, I approved the walk-through.

It was on to the closing. The closing took place in a dark conference room. We were all there. Me, my wife, the seller, her husband, my realtor, their realtor, my realtor's husband, my mortgage agent, the title lady, the title lady's imaginary friend, it was about ten people and it didn't take me long to realize that I was paying all their salaries. And so I did, I gave them a check for half a hundred thousand dollars. It was weird because I did not know that I possessed half a hundred thousand dollars and I celebrated on that knowledge before grieving on the loss. The closing went well and I was the only person from whose pocket money was departing. Therefore I was the star. I had to sign twenty thousand documents. My wife had to sign ten thousand documents. We had to memorize the dates because we also had to date the documents. The problem was that it was 2008 and I was still in 2007 mode. Hopefully I signed something as 2007 and I will get back my half a hundred thousand. No? Okay then.

I tried to make the most of my stardom from being the person who was paying the ten people's salary. I asked questions. What is this two dollars beside the half a hundred thousand dollars, asked I. Oh, that, why do you care, you have already given us half a hundred thousand dollars, was the answer. Okay, forget it, said I, just give me the keys.

I was given the keys to the house. 5 copies. Why the heck 5, asked I. We locked ourselves out, said the husband. Multiple times. Thus the copies. Empty your pockets please, said I in a stern manner. Out came a garage door opener. Thank you, said I. I was wondering what that garage shaped thing beside the condo was.

Finally we were done. I had signed a lot of papers. I had my keys. I was broke. I was ecstatic. I owned a home. Home prices were falling. What could be better? My realtor had a Christmas present for us. It was a packet of gift cards. Please tell everyone about us, said my realtor. Sure I will, said I. After all, you gave us a home.

A home is what we have now. We will move completely in a couple of weeks. I am a history buff and I already know the history of this place. The Liberty Bell passed by our doorstep about 200 years ago as it made the journey back to Philadelphia. It's a historical place. Every road here was laid down in the 1700s. We have an Indian store, a Chinese restaurant, a mall, a pub, a biking trail and a creek. Everything you need to live in harmony with the world and nature. I think we will be fine.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your new home!

I am glad your closing went well. It's surprising how many things can go wrong at the closing, like hidden defects and liens and whatnot.

Thankfully, it's a buyer's market now. A year or more ago, some sellers even decided to hold out for a higher price and stay away from the closing!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations. Perhaps pictures of the home that is now "yours" are in order?

Jeet said...

congrats on your new home :)

Anonymous said...

Congrats! Looking forward to visiting and staying there and seeing the trees & stream. Can I read this to aai-papa?
-MK

RobRoy said...

Congrats and congrats. You did make certain to get the chrome-plated hinge-bearings, right? You can't turn on any lights without them. Also, did you get the extra historical-event insurance? It's costs a bit, but it's worth the price.

gawker said...

lekhni : Thank you. You know, when it was time to hand over the check there was a moment when I was wishing that someone would discover an outstanding lien on the property.

lakshmi : Thanks, yes, someone needs to send me a digital camera as a housewarming gift.

jeet : Thank you

MK : Thanks, yes you may do that after making the requisite edits.

robroy : Thank you. Yes, the hinge bearings have some amount of chrome on them but mostly they are coated with diamond dust from the deepest mines of Moria.

ggop said...

Ah escrow closing..brings back memories. You may have signed your firstborn away for all you know in one of those 20,000 places ;-)

Unknown said...

tell us more of the story behind the liberty bell bit! that is cool! :)

Kimberly El-Sadek said...

Congratulations on your new home. Enjoy the tax break that you will get next year for "owning" it and paying usury charges lol.

gawker said...

ggop : Actually, having already heard about people's experiences of signing away their first borns, I kept a pretty sharp lookout for anything mentioning the signing away of my first born and I don't think there was anything. I think my first born should be okay.

tgfi : Well, apparently the Liberty Bell which was in Philly when it was the capital of pre-revolutionary America, was smuggled out when the Brits invaded it. It was taken to Allentown and buried. Later, when the revolutionaries retook Philly, the bell was brought back along the Liberty Bell trail on which my condo appears to lie. Sometimes at night, I still hear the sound of the bell. Even though I am not yet living in my new condo.

lumi : Yes, that's what they tell me. However, what they don't tell me is that the tax money I get back is the same one I paid them through the year.

zambezi said...

when is the house warming?congratulations popatlal. send me the pictures.

sahasra said...

Congratulations,I felt the same way when i was giving my check..:)It was hard to let go the check.
Enjoy.

Anonymous said...

Very exciting! Where exactly is it?