Friday, December 15, 2006

Waving to strangers

The thing I like the most about this country is the extraordinary friendliness of its natives. Virtual strangers will hi and hello you at every opportunity they get. Sometimes it can be a problem for social outcastes like me who are not used to this level of camaraderie from their fellow inmates. It is therefore second nature for me in such cases to react with a precise amount of witlessness that is calculated to curdle the milk of this human kindness and turn it into the yogurt of hostility.

I was sitting in my car at the train station waiting for the Amtrak to roll in. I saw a woman running along in order to cross the tracks and reach the train on the other side. As I stared in her direction trying to gauge whether she would make the trip in time, she smiled and waved in my direction.

Perplexed, I pointed to my own face inquiringly because my intense inferiority complex disallows me from assuming that when anyone is waving in my direction, they are, in fact, waving at me. The woman pointed back, yes you.

It was then that I turned my neck in order to enact that well documented move where you look behind to check the presence of someone behind you who could be the target of somebody's attention and not you. This appeared to be the final straw. The woman slapped away an annoyed never mind and continued to race to her train. That will probably be the last time she is friendly to a stranger. Too much red tape involved.

And needless to say, this will continue to happen to me time and time again as single-handedly I continue to make Americans more xenophobic.

9 comments:

Kimberly El-Sadek said...

God help you if you ever end up in the South. They are the friendliest group of people not just settling for a mere wave or hello, but an actual and genuine "How ya doin'?" Now living in New Jersey I am much more likely to get a "What the f are you looking at?" than a hello. *sigh*

Anonymous said...

my parents always wondered if we knew all the people we met at the grocery store. they kept saying, "but she waved to you" or "she said hi"......i am with you on this one. who made these people so perky?!

i will be in philadelphia in a couple of weeks. any tips on things to see (other than the liberty bell)? i am relying on your by now well known sense of camaraderie and social goodness for this one.

Anonymous said...

heh... lol@ too much red tape involved :D

Anurag said...

Man, don't even get me started about how difficult I find living in that country. I am so much happier in India where I know that everyone genuinely hates my guts.

Anonymous said...

Ever wondered why people who ask "how ya doin'?" rarely stop to hear the answer. But then again Ogden Nash was American as confirmed by his ditty:

Do not tell your friend,
About your indigestion.
How are you? is a greeting,
Not a question...

Pity us in Europe and elsewhere then!

Anonymous said...

anyone..ever shared an elevator with one of these "friendly" goraas? :D haha... or seen a typical desi gettin all the more weirder while talkin to one of these with a conversation planned out in his/her head with all the SERIOUSNESS there is in this world? hilarious!

Anonymous said...

Ha ha ......I had the same experience when i first came to the US. After 8 years, I wave only if I am in the mood.......
Gawker, kabhi hamare ghar tashrif laeeye, bahut acha lagega!

Anonymous said...

Had a similar experience in UK recently.. but after a while.. i decided to join the crowd and wave along.. doesnt harm being folksy from time to time :) i must say it felt damn good!

zambezi said...

popatlal, did you leave the wife atg the airport? are you going too? are you going to come and spend a weekend of alcohol with me? when is she coming back?