Friday, December 01, 2006

Don't stop your swaying

We were eating lunch in an Indian restaurant, me and my American colleagues. Some trashy song from contemporary Bollywood was playing. One of my colleagues was obviously enjoying it to the extent that his head began to sway to the rhythm.

"Do you have this cd?", he asked me.

"No", I replied.

"Why not?"

"Frankly, this music is garbage", I replied.

"Really? In what way?"

"Well, it is exactly similar to the thousands of other songs being churned out currently in Bollywood", I said.

"I see", he replied.

I noticed that he had stopped swaying to the music. I felt bad.

"Listen", I said, "you don't have to stop swaying just because I said the music is bad. Please continue your swaying, don't mind me".

"I stopped swaying to eat", he said, but I wasn't buying it and even after putting food into his mouth he continued to not sway. Now I felt really bad. After a while, a different song came on, I don't remember what the fuck it was, but I liked it.

"Okay, this is good music right here", I said to the swayer. "This would be a good song to sway to."

"Shut up", he replied with a noticeable lack of gratitude.

Sometimes, the best gestures go under-appreciated.

8 comments:

RobRoy said...

Next time, instead of hurting him with words, just smack him with a handy spoon or frying pan.

gawker said...

robroy : yes but then it imposes the constraint that the above scene HAS to take place in a kitchen and we do not cook together that often, lets say never.

Anonymous said...

lol u ruined it for him!

besides what wud you have done if you were in his place gawker? if you knew someone did notice ur swayin at the eatin table, and said something like that to you! :D

Anonymous said...

Was Mr.Reshammiya involved?
-naveen.

Anonymous said...

Re: chipmunk

He'd probably respond with a verbose diatribe defending the song. In response to which, he'd be asked to "shut up an eat"
And finally I think he would have started bawling and thrown his toys out of the pram.

S

Anonymous said...

S: are you gawker? :P lol
hmmmm I was only curious a lil bit, but that can easily pass off as a question that neednt be answered but only be pondered upon.... :P

gawker said...

chips : I would not have swayed in the first place. Headbanging good, swaying bad.

naveen : god forbid, no. it was a nasal woman.

S : It is almost as if you know me in real life.

chips : am i what? pondering makes my head hurt so don't ask me to do that.

Anonymous said...

Gawker: nyah no need for that, am not askin u to do anything :P twas just a reply to S's comment ... :)