Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Stalker?

So the other day, in a fit of self-inadequate narcissism, I was googling my own name. I observed one extra search result than usual. Curious to see what it was, I clicked on it. Turned out it was a software forum at which I had left a question. Oh yeah, I remembered, this was like a couple of years ago. And then, below my query, I saw a reply, which I hadn't seen before, purportedly from someone called, lets say, Gopal (name changed to protect privacy). And Gopal's question was, "Are you Vijay (name changed to protect privacy) from Guntakkal (place changed to protect privacy)? Did you get married to Mohommad?" (Name, sex, religion and spelling changed to protect privacy).

Now that was very strange. Because not only was my name Vijay, and I was from Guntakkal, but my wife's name was also Mohommad, thus yielding a "yes" to that bizarre question. But here's the thing that terrifies me. For someone to have replied to my query, Gopal (who by the way, I have no recollection of knowing or ever having known), would have had to google my name and go through each and every search result in order to find this forum. That's a lot of work for an innocent googler to indulge in. So, basically, I suppose, what this means is that I have a stalker. Not bad in itself, because it satisfies my narcissistic sensibility.

Now if it were only one of those mild mannered cuddly little stalkers you see on the Discovery Channel, all would be fine.

No comments: