Thursday, August 09, 2007

Sitar

During my last visit to India, I purchased a miniature fake sitar souvenir in Bangalore for one of my office colleagues. I did this because whenever the topic of India comes up during our conversations, this colleague has a habit of raising his arms as if he were holding an imaginary sitar and uttering the phrase "tingalingaling". If you feel that the novelty value of this behavior would likely wear off after just a couple of performances, you haven't seen him impersonate 1.> an Indian flying carpet cab driver, 2.> a snake charmer having HR problems, or 3.> a snake charmer playing the sitar on a flying carpet.

So anyways, today my colleague informed me that he was pleased to report that yesterday his two year old daughter took her first baby steps towards becoming a sitar virtuoso by learning how to play the fake sitar souvenir. I guess Anoushka Shankar will be having some stiff foreign-born competition soon.

4 comments:

KP said...

"AN INDIAN FLYING CARPET CAB DRIVER"

hahahha thats hilarious!

RobRoy said...

Wait a minute, that's a little stereotyping. Some Indians drive winged elephants.

gawker said...

kappa : Thank you.

robroy : You are stereotyping elephants now. Not all are winged. Some can barely even glide.

Kimberly El-Sadek said...

I think your co-worker's bubble would be burst if he ever visited India in person.