Friday, August 10, 2007

Dear

My friend zambezi does not like people calling him "dude". I am okay with that. I am also okay with people using the word "dude". My own nemesis is the word "dear". I don't like people using "dear" with all and sundry. Especially if those people happen to be male and are addressing other male people. For example, when a male friend emails you beginning with the line "How are you, dear", somehow you feel violated in a very intimate way.

I am okay with dude. At least when someone calls me a dude, I can pretend I am wearing a cowboy hat and riding a bull that is trying to throw me off and later that night I'm gonna have the same bull for dinner and then who's gonna try and throw off whom? But on the other hand if someone calls me a dear, I have a mental image of me simpering coyly and what makes it worse is that I still have on that same cowboy hat and I'm still riding the same bull but now I am also wearing a pink frock and oversized sunglasses with a color gradient going from brown to transparent and sipping on an appletini or some kind of cocktail with a miniature umbrella in it.

It's a very disturbing image so dude, quit calling me "dear".

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where's your sense of humor, dude? you would look so dear in a pink frock!

I had a client who would start his emails with "Hello dears" when addressing multiple people....never heard that usage before.

zambezi said...

you should have started the post with my dear friend zambezi.

gawker said...

anjali : Was he Desi? I think Indians are more susceptible to the allure of dear-calling.

zambezi : I am okay with dear being used as an adjective or an adverb like you demonstrated. But using it as a noun in the second person should be frowned upon.

Anonymous said...

Oh dear!!

Bit Hawk said...

Hilarious post!
Yes, a guy calling another as "dear" is so irritating, reminds so much of Karan Johar!

Anonymous said...

i get that from nindya. He starts with, "How are you dear?".

gawker said...

bit hawk : Thanks. Does Karan Johar ride horses wearing a pink frock?

bhad : Yes, that is the above-mentioned emailing friend.

gala : Yes, he did say my dear Watson, which is fine. Now if he had said Watson, my dear, that would have been different.

Oracle said...

ah ,dear sounds creepy even if it is addressed by a male to the opposite gender. coincidently two of my male frnds who address ppl as 'dear' often, are from the same state in south India and i wonder if it is a practise there!
on the othr hand,I get nauseated when my gal friends call me sweetie. eeks

Anonymous said...

Dearest Gawkie*

Agree with Oracle there...I think South Indians have the knack of sayin Dear in the most inappropriate ways lol ALMOST EVERY SINGLE MALE AND FEMALE OF THE MALLU SPECIES use it :S

May be they got it from their mom or the Catholic schools they went to..

And yes, I dread "Sweetie" as much as you hate "Dear"

* okay thats gone way over board... :D

zambezi said...

i am south indian

zambezi said...

are you back shit head?

Anonymous said...

zambezi u seem soooo like a colleague of mine... amazing sense of humor...!

no offense meant on the remark made earlier on south indians...

but yeah....i meant convent shools by the way... (catholic? what was i thinkin')

Anonymous said...

Frankly, My Dude, I don't give a damn.

Anonymous said...

guess what. I dislike both.

"dude" of course makes me feel all male and a stupid looking foolish one at that..

"dear" sounds like some "make friendship" guy acting overfamliar.

ggop said...

What about "Honey" used by desis?