Sunday, August 09, 2009

DMV

Today I did my once-every-five years pilgrimage to the DMV. I already had a license and merely needed to renew it. Therefore, the paperwork I needed to take along with me caused the destruction of a smaller swathe of the Amazonian rain forest than usual. Along with my passport, H1B documentation and I-485 receipt, I merely included my mother's birth certificate, my dad's fourth grade essay competition gold medal and my great grandfather's 1920 tax returns from his goat-herding business. I was ready to renew.

When i entered the DMV office, I saw that there were a mere ten people ahead of me, praise the Lord. After taking a number, I busied myself with attempting to discover a free wi-fi connection for my phone to climb on to. After "HMP500" and "TestyTestMan" both failed to provide me with unsecured internet access, I decided to go with the tried and tested method of staring at the floor. I wondered if there was any paint drying in the vicinity.

Finally, when my number was up, they called me to the photography chamber where the lady behind the counter gave me a computerized questionnaire consisting merely of (a), if I wished to answer (b) in Spanish and (b), if I wished to be an organ donor. After I had answered yes to both questions, the lady, in a tone implying her belief that I had misunderstood the second question, asked me, "You've stated that you want to be an organ donor, is that correct?"

I replied yes, accompanying it with a look that I hoped would communicate to her my view that if people wished to help themselves to the much abused and heavily shredded cables of my mortal coil, hey, more power to them. I really hope she got that look because I put considerable effort into its manufacture.

With all formalities completed, I settled down into the chair for my picture to be taken.

"You may smile if you wish", said the lady, "Please look at the camera".

Since smiling in photos makes me look sheepishly apologetic about my presence on the planet and not smiling in photos announces to people my intention of invading their house while they're asleep and raping their pillows, I offered her my standard "fuck all government issued documents" glare. The camera clicked.

But something appeared to be amiss. The lady called one of her coworkers to her desk. I could hear them whispering and I thought I saw her point to my picture on her screen and say, "Does his (inaudible) look tiny to you?"

I looked down to check if I was wearing pants, which I was, so it had to be something else that had violated the good lady's sense of proportion. I listened more closely in order to make out their conversation. This time, I heard the words shiny and nose.

"Excuse me", I said, "What's wrong?"

"Your nose looks too shiny in the picture", she said to me. "Is it too shiny for a license photo?", she asked her coworker.

"Hold on, my nose is too shiny?" I said. I wanted to be sure that I had an exact understanding of the problem.

The room laughed. I realized that I had been too loud. Reflexively, I wiped my nose on my shirt sleeve. "Shit", I said to myself, realizing too late that wiping it would only serve to augment its reflective properties.

The coworker finally came to my rescue.

"It's okay, his nose is fine", she said.

"Yeah, i guess so", said the picture lady. "I think i was too picky about your nose", she said,turning to me.

"That's okay", I said. I guess it is a good thing that the world contains people willing to burden themselves with the task of maintaining societal nose glitter within manageable limits.

I seated myself beside another Indian guy who had yet to have his photo taken and waited for the production of my new license card to be completed. I noticed that the guy next in line after me had already received his card. The lady behind the counter explained to the Indian guy sitting next to me, "It's because your card needs to be reprinted." Seeing his puzzled look, I explained, "She's speaking to you, but she's actually talking to me." We were both brown so I can understand her confusion.

Finally, my card was done. I walked to the counter to retrieve it. I wished to check on the shininess of my nose first-hand. Well, I couldn't see anything because I was blinded by the light emanating from my nose in the picture. My license picture looked like a miniature solar system with my nose providing life-giving light and warmth to my eyes, ears, forehead and chin that were revolving in elliptical orbits around it. My chin appeared to be simultaneously rotating about its own inclined axis, thereby leading to perfect conditions for the birth of hair. I named my eyes Klaxon and Zorn and drove home humming the Star Trek theme song.

I wonder why no one's ever mentioned anything to me about my shiny nose before. Are you people blind?

13 comments:

RukmaniRam said...

no, we aren't blind. we're just always busy finding wet paint and then watch it dry.

tgfi said...

You've had way too much of a thought-provoking trip to the dmv. tell me this wasn't the one at Market East Stn- there were never less than 25 people in the lines there and their systems were way too antiquated to pick up on nose-shine..in fact i'm sure you'd have lit up the place with your nose-shine.
My, but why do you have such a shiny nose? weird!

ggop said...

You should have stolen your better half's compact or matte powder and dusted your nose :-)

gawker said...

rukmani : Ah good times.

tgfi : No, luckily it wasn't. I guess mine was les crowded because they don't do license exams there, just issue photo cards. I think the shininess of my nose can be traced back to when my ancestors in Goa used it to blind fishes into capture.

ggop : I did rub my nose into dirt but all it did was polish it some more.

Unknown said...

If you live in a state that has adopted the 2006 Uniform Anatomical Gift Act, it is presumed that you are an organ donor unless they can find information contrary. Getting your name off any list or removing your consent from your driver's license means absolutely nothing under the 2006 version of the act. Even if you have a written advanced healthcare directive that forbids the use of machines to keep your body alive, they can do so as long as they are working on your family or legal decision makers to determine your intent to be an organ donor.

Unfortunately, no state that has adopted the 2006 UAGA allows anyone to register as a "no" or allows donation on condition of just compensation. Until now: you can register your desire and options under the law at www.DoNotTransplant.com.

Unknown said...

Few Americans know that the organ harvesting industry in the United States is a $20 Billion a year business. Built entirely on a foundation of free organs, tissue and body parts. If we were discussing copper and Bolivia, the chattering class would understand the implications immediately.

At DoNotTransplant.com we believe that every American should control their end of life decisions. You don’t have to wait for Washington to act. There are several excellent resources available to you today.

For an Advance Healthcare Directive appropriate to your state of residence, we recommend Caring Connections.

Choose now if you want to participate in the organ harvesting process. Don’t let your family to be left wondering what your intentions might be. Save them the pain and grief of organ harvesting consent by making your intentions crystal clear today.

Imagine their feelings of betrayal as you lie in a coma and they are asked if the organ harvesting process can start when you are declared brain dead or your heart stops.

If you’ve decided you want to be an organ donor, you can do that at Donate Life America.

If you have questions about organ donation or live in one of the 37 states or the District of Columbia that has adopted the 2006 Uniform Anatomical Gift Act, visit http://www.DoNotTransplant.com to learn more about your rights and options under the law.

In a state that has adopted the 2006 Uniform Anatomical Gift Act, leaving your donor preferences blank on your driver’s license means the decision to harvest your organs will be put on your family. This includes hooking you up to life support systems even if you have an Advanced Healthcare Directive that says otherwise. They can keep your body alive until they can convince your family to grant consent.

Save your family the grief and pain of making organ donation decisions during your last hours of life. Register today!

Meenu said...

Gawker,
I know you have heard this many times before but you have an awesome(ly weird) sense of humor!

RobRoy said...

Wow, you attracted your own political pundit. Congrats!

gawker said...

Mark : The answer is 48.

Meenu : Thanks, really.

robroy : Is that really you?

Anonymous said...

Ever since you started twittering, your blogging has decreased. While you are one-liners are hilarious, your blog posts are ROTFL-funny. And of course, I spend more time reading a blog than a tweet.. helps in the office :-)

gawker said...

Anonymous : May I suggest napping in the office? They even have an Iphone app that helps you do it.

Anonymous said...

More reason for you to blog. How else would I find out about wonderful apps as this?

Unknown said...

This is weird. Well, whats the deal with shiny nose. It doesnt matter anyways, same thing happened to me when my photo was taken at DMV Illinois .