Friday, July 28, 2006

This and that

I just saw that someone from NASA reached this blog after having googled for "dal shortage". It gets me kinda worried because if NASA rocket scientists are clueless on how to tackle this problem, having resorted to googling for a solution, we might as well look forward to changing our lifestyle to one that does not involve consumption of dal, perhaps even taking to cannibalism (no mother, I wasn't just looking for an excuse to eat people).

On the other hand, it might just have been a NASA janitor surfing the web. Maybe NASA should put these janitors to work growing some dal instead of frittering away their time surfing the web. Mmmm fritters. Good bye till march, fritters, I will miss you.

Oh, and my neighbourhood Indian restaurant owner had absolutely no idea of the dal famine currently descending upon the pressure cookers of the world. I told him the breaking news and he was all like "No you lie, you lying liar", and I was like "Man my blogpost on this issue got linked at desipundit and all, where have you been, you should get someone to periodically turn the rock you are living under". And then, just to prove my point, I took out the packet of dal I now keep in my shirt pocket for emergencies, carefully withdrew a handful and threw it in the air. And all the Indian diners leapt up from their tables, and as they clawed around on the floor, trying to grab those precious seeds and stuff 'em inside their pockets, I saw the man turn sheet white, an amazing feat for him because he has a kind of "wheatish complexion", to quote his shaadi.com profile. But sadly, I am not sure if his place will survive the calamity. I hope it does because that place has the best Indian food.

Secondly, I don't know if you've already seen this but Israel will be defended by Captain Birdbrain and his band of yogic-flying superheroes who, coincidentally, I just wrote about a few days ago. That is all. I am sorry if you expected much more.

Thirdly, I have been linked to by the kind people at gilli.in. Thank you for the traffic. I remember when I was in graduate school I was exposed to a lot of gilli this and gilli that in the company of my Tamil friends but I never quite came to know what the word meant. Most of the time it played out in the form of Tamfriend1 saying something to Tamfriend2 and Tamfriend2 with a look of exasperation, saying "gilli" as if to say "c'mon now, how could you even say that". However, I might have been mistaken, it could have been a different but similar sounding word.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am planning to check if Himesh can bring some toor dal on his way to Seattle from Jersey. I am sure the gujjus must have procured them at lower prices. They should throw daal among the fans at the concert, like they throw whatever the shit is at rock concerts.
-naveen.

Vidya said...

Hah, my parents are already complaining about the price hike here in NJ--no more yummy home made idlis and dosas! It's okay though, we live right in the middle of Desiville and there's a Saravana Bhavan hotel down the street, so I'm not complainin'. =)

P said...

Haaaahahaha!
Fun post!

Born a Libran said...

Good show with the humor dude..

gawker said...

naveen : Are you related to Himesh Reshammiya by blood?

everything_in_transit : why wont you complain regardless? You are Indian aren't you?

perspective, libran : Thank you.