Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Some bad news

Hello my fellow Indians from the US, the UK and everywhere else around the world except India. It is never a pleasant experience for anyone to be the purveyor of bad news but today I will regretfully don that mantle for the common good. My friends, listen up and please sit down or stand up depending on whether you are in the habit of suddenly sitting down or standing up when you hear really bad news.

Here is the bad news. India has, or soon will, stop exporting dal to the United States. I hear a collective gasp of horror from myself which drowned out the gasp I am sure simultaneously issued forth from your frozen lips. Yes it is true. India will no longer export any more dal to the US until March 2007. That is about 7 months from now. Sadly I did not hear a gasp of horror from my American audience. In order to elicit that gasp, I will elaborate upon the extraordinary nature of the news I just conveyed.

Imagine, dear American reader, if, someday, suddenly all the cows in America were to disappear, lets say, through alien abduction, along with all the burger buns wrapped around them. Not only that, let us imagine a scenario where ketchup, mustard and french fries were to suffer from a severe shortage due to a late monsoon playing havoc with the ketchup and mustard crops and France, finally having had enough of Bill O'Reilly's hissy-fits, refusing to ship their fries to the US. And finally, imagine if all the chickens in the country were to be afflicted by sinus infections, thus rendering them unsuitable for consumption and fornication. (Note that I purposely didn't say bird flu because I did not want to raise the terror alert level and make you want to go out there and invade China's bird population)

How, pray shuddering American, would you react to such a situation? Yes, that is right, you would be aghast, fearing for the future, wondering how to feed your pets and your family. Because that is the exact equivalent of the perplexing bind the average Indian in the US now finds himself in.

Yes, dal is the Indian's ground beef and chicken cordon bleu, all in one. It is a good source of protein. It is quick to cook, fills the belly and helps you in maintaining a spotless colon. Which is why every Indian will take this news of a dal shortage very seriously.

But all is not lost, friend Indian. It is not time to panic yet. Listen up and stop weeping. Go to your neighbourhood Indian store. It is still selling toor dal, only now it is called "toovar" for some reason, probably something to do with the export ban. The price is higher now, it costs about 4 and a half dollars for a packet small enough to fit comfortably inside your spotless colon, not that I am trying to give you any ideas. I don't know how much it used to cost before but I assume it was much cheaper than that. It is a fact of life that one only begins to notice the price of things after they become pricey. So anyways, my point is, go to your Indian store and snap up all the dal you can find. Oh do not worry about your fellow Indians. They will eat cake.

There is but one problem. Dal Eaters Against Stockpiling and Price Gouging (DEASPG) has ordered all Indian groceries not to dispense more than two bags of dal per person. So by the time you finish reading this and head off to the Indian store, it is imperative that you raise a decent sized Indian family. And then, look for all the Indian stores within a 50 mile radius and make the rounds with each family member going into each store in turn to receive his or her allotted ration of dal. Take a pickup truck. Remember, March is a long way off. In between there is Thanksgiving and turkey stuffed with dal, Christmas with the dalnog and boy, let's not forget the Superbowl dal shots. Halftime this year will be tinged with sadness. There will be rice, but where, oh where will be the dal?

I guess the only solace one can find during this troubling time is in the fact that one's car runs on gasoline and not dal.

20 comments:

zambezi said...

jfyi, 8 pounds toor daal used to be 8 something and now is 14 something. if you are a commodity trader, 4 weeks ago was a good time to hoard.I wish i was in this business rather than the semiconductor business. I bet my life that tons of gujjus on oak tree road are going to make a ton of money. This is one commodity you cannot go wrong on as Indians will die without daal. Last week we had family visiting from baltimore and they both tons of daal. When i visit my in laws next week in Mich, i will be carrying daal in my bag. I have a secret for you gawker about how you can get daal at normal prices. i will call you on that.

Anonymous said...

Heh ! Saw this on DP today and found explanation for a (then-mysterious) sign on the local desi grocery: "Due to FLUCTUATIONS in dal prices, all dal sales are final"
...couldn't help but think of gas/dal price analogies !

A Motley Tunic said...

Let me share a secret - I actually found a chinese grocery store selling varieties of moong dal (whole, split) etc. It comes from korea and it is cheap. But there is no 'toovar' dal. :-(. But there is definitely a little sadistic pleasure in driving past the indian store to get dal from the chinese store.

ggop said...

This is the exact opposite scenario of the movie Delicatessen where all meat becomes scarce and people are forced to eat lentils. (set in the dark future) ;-)

gg

ggop said...

Oh and our local Saravana Bhavan has stopped making vadais.
-gg

zambezi said...

a lot of restaurants have stopped making vadas. last weekend i was at swagat and they had a note on the menu saying that all the different kinds of vadas were not being made due to the shortage. when one of us who hadnt read the note asked for vada, they served us. they said that they were serving vada to people who were asking for the vada despite reading the note on the menu. meaning the vada was for only hardcore vada lovers.

zambezi said...

sowmya let my secret out. you can get lentils also in spanish stores cos they eat a lot of them.

gawker said...

zambezi : i will wait for your call with considerable impatience.

bongo : yes, in fact, since dal has become so expensive, it would be a good time for GM to come up with a Hummer that runs on dal. They seem to have the worst business models.

sowmya : sadly, my only interest is in the toovar dal since that is pretty much the only type I consume in my household. But that is a good tip just in case we ever find that moong gives as much mileage as toovar.

ggop : in my opinion, both scenarios are heartrending and gut wrenching.

zambezi : i should probably check my neighbourhood southindian joijnt to see whether they have turned into an American steakhouse. i wonder how they will do business now with sambar out of the picture.

gawker said...

you can get lentils even in the regular grocery store. and i dont eat lentils anyways. if you have a viable solution for toor dal then let us hear it.

RobRoy said...

Can't you just grow and manufacture your own? Or it toor dal indigenous to India?

In either case my heart goes out to you poor Indians. Not to be confused with the poor Native American Indians . . . although my heart goes out to them too.

gawker said...

i am not sure anyone knows how to grow dal. I am not even sure if its grown or if it is mined from the ground or if it is delivered by a stork. But in either case, the dal I am interested in is probably only grown or mined or stork delivered in India.

Birdsword said...

your writing is VERY funny-so sorry about the dal shortage...

Kimberly El-Sadek said...

This sucks...I may be American but dal is a staple food in my house. And here I was thinking that it was going to be cheaper to procure when I move to NJ in a few weeks. I wonder if they are going to start price gouging on basmati rice too? FYI-Arab & Persian stores sell channa dal, besan flour, red, green & brown lentils.

Cee Kay said...

In the years before Toovar dal became easily available in Indian stores in the US, inidans (read gujjus) used "Split peas" readily available in the Mexican food section in American supermarkets as a substitute. I haven't tried it yet, but it is worth a try. I am sooooo glad I "weaned" my family away from toovar to other dals like chana dal, moong (dhuli & sabut), masoor (dhuli and sabut) years ago. Now we go through toovar dal at the rate of about 1 lb a month (so how much do I need to hoard now?????)...

Been visiting your blog (very infrequently though) but first time to comment. Your plight made me stop and type out my comment :D

gawker said...

roberta : thank you and your sympathy is appreciated.

lumi : i don't think they will run out of basmati rice. after all they did steal the patent and start making it under the monicker "texmati". So do not worry.

gettingthere : 1 lb a month puts you in the "not-so-gravely-affected" bracket. In fact if it were up to me, your nonchalant attitude with respect to toor dal would immediately disqualify you from buying it in a grocery store. After all there are people who have more urgent toovar needs.

Cee Kay said...

:D Agree with you. I should be banned from buying toor dal ever. But please, PLEASE have mercy on my fathre-in-law, who is visiting us these days and eats nothing BUT toor dal (grovels in dust for mercy...)

Anonymous said...

fyi, for those of you like me who cannot find toor dal and other dals locally, try iShopIndian.com, an online retailer of indian foods. I just received my order and the quality and service is pretty good. They also have free shipping on orders $69 and above.

Anonymous said...

After reading this post, I think I need to revise my tip 4 here, meant for the hapless AminjakaraiBCDs of the USA

Anonymous said...

Thanks Anon for the info about iShopIndian.com. We were finally able to buy toor dal and other lentils when our local store was out. I highly recommend their services for dals and other food products also. We are making sambar for the whole neighboorhood today!

Anonymous said...

You can find really cheap Indian dals at www.spicyusa.com. Their service is excellent and I have been buying from them for the past couple of months. They are much cheaper than the other online stores, and I have received my order pretty fast and the quality is good. They have free shipping as well...so it works out to be a pretty good deal.