Thursday, January 12, 2006

Ode to a special Someone

Today I had a moment of enlightenment about a very special Someone in my life. Someone who, lately, I had not been paying a lot of attention to. Someone who I've always been taking for granted. Someone who has been a very giving someone all these days and yet, has not received a whole lot in return. Someone who means the world to me, yet someone I have been guilty of heaping shameful neglect upon.

My Work.

Today I received new evidence that my Work loves me a lot. My Work has been spending the past couple of weeks, while I was vacationing in India, pining for me. It is disgraceful that I, who took this brief opportunity to escape from my Work, should be informed after I returned that my Work hasn't been well. Work has suffered from the lack of me in her life. In fact, a mere minute and 22 seconds after I entered the office today morning, I was informed by a tearful, emotional Work that it would be a good move on my part to attend to Work's demands if I desired to have her in my life anymore.

And so, I have been slaving all morning listening to the long list of Work's demands and assuring her that they would be taken care of as soon as I get the fuck off this jet lag which is making me feel like I'm having a bad dream even as I walk around like a zombie who's just gnawed his own brains out and is at a loss as to how to cope with the situation.

But as it turns out, I do have a small entertaining (?) tidbit to share. Yesterday, as I was being driven from Grand Central Terminus to Penn Station in a squalid little bus, I noticed this little shop. It was called "Shun Da Trading Company". It was a shop selling bags, and it was closed. I was wondering if the shop belonged to someone who was making a statement about the need for America to reign in her obsession with buying a lot of stuff it didn't need. Or if it was just some Chinese guy who happened to have a funny name.

I would really like to think it was the former.

2 comments:

zambezi said...

he he.
time for you to pay more attention to work. good for you. work harder and make your owner rich.anyways welcome back. did you know that i quit smoking around 2 months ago? now we can actually drink beer and i wont have to go and take a smoke.

Anonymous said...

you have a unique way of looking at things. nice writing!

anjali