Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Bunty, Babli and Saif's right buttock

Continuing my time honored tradition of watching hindi movies about six months after they are released and then writing a review which no one will read since everybody's already watched it, I saw Bunty and Babli this weekend. I had high expectations from it. You know why Indians can take break-ups pretty well? Its because they have spent all their lives being let down time and time again by Hindi movies.

I guess the storyline was okay in that it was not a Suraj Barjatya movie. But someone needs to tell Ranee Mukherjee that if she needs to cry, she should cry in her mind. If she cries audibly, she sounds like Dharavi on the morning of Bakri Eid. Abhishek needs to stop talking like his father. I can sympathize with Jaya Bacchan. She is a woman who has spent her life in the midst of two Bacchans.

The script should have been written by a professional scriptwriter. Not by my uncle, who I love very much but whose punchlines make no sense whatsoever, and yet I have to pretend I enjoyed his joke and give him a high five because everytime he cracks one he looks at me for endorsement. eg : Ranee Mukherjee asks a tea guy for 2 cups of tea. Tea guy expresses puzzlement and asks why 2? Ranee says "I want 2. What will happen if you give me 2? Will Pakistan attack?" I wish he had given her the 2 cups without asking for more information. I fell asleep in the middle of the movie. I think my body continued to watch it even after I stopped because all my joints were aching the next morning.

There was one new bit of information I obtained after watching this movie though. Namely that Saif Ali Khan's right ass cheek is softer, smoother, silkier and in general, more touchable than his left one. I'm pretty sure of this because during the trailer of Salaam Namastey when Preity Zinta inserted her hand in his back pocket in order to look cool as she was walking with him, she put her left hand in his right back pocket when she was on his right, but put her right hand still in his right back pocket when she was on his left. Obviously, she enjoys the feel of his right ass-cheek better than his left one.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

sorry for comment-bombing you. i discovered your blog recently and read through some of your old posts. they are hilarious! so had to leave comments on all of them.

as for b&b, i have nothing to say as i haven't seen that movie. i have stopped watching hindi movies, they bore me to no end. (does this mean i won't be very good at handling my next break-up??)

anjali

gawker said...

Thank you thank you. Comment bombing is always welcome. In fact, many times I post comments to myself as an anonymous user. In fact, this might even be me replying to me.

But yeah, I don't watch hindi movies either, its usually the wife who needs her periodic hindi movie fix.

zambezi said...

I comment more or less on every single post of yours. Do you feel the love jetta boy?b and b was just another movie. The only bright spot was the kajra re song which i am sure you watched and enjoyed very much. he talks like his father cos believe it or not you and me end up sounding a lot like our fathers. Atleast, i am told i do. It is not something that i am putting on.Do people tell you that you sound like your father?
As for saif ali khan, i wouldnt know

Anonymous said...

well, i am not really an anonymous user....my name is usually written at the end of the comment. but thanks anyways for telling us about your little scam!

anjali

gawker said...

yes kajra re is a good song. If I could, I would grind it up into a fine powder and freebase it, it is that addictive. Actually all the music in the movie is quite good. I do sound like my father, I've been told, but if my father were Amitabh Bacchan and said everything in the same manner in which he said in that movie "I walk english i talk english" and then his son grew up to talk in the same way, and then both father and son went about the house talking in that way, life would be difficult for the mother, I would imagine.

zambezi said...

maybe harivanshrai bacchan sounded the same too.

Primalsoup said...

There is something about Rani M and Pakistan/ Kashmir type references (all masquerading as suspect humour, of course). Must be a good luck charm thing.

I am also thinking the collective women population may not mind it too much to be living with two of the Bachchan (however that is spelt) men! :)

Anonymous said...

i couldn't make it thru the movie. i kept forwarding it off and on. i actually ended up forwarding the end of the movie. So i had to go back and rewind it just to watch the end. Have to watch the end. Its like u walked off without using the paper (or water if u are in mai-des). Kajra re was marvelous. I actually downloaded kaaza so i can download kajra re.
I have some comments about Saif's right buttock, but I guess I will mail them to you.

Anonymous said...

I guess I agree with ur review...
for me it was a no brainer..not to say I didnt watch the whole thing...coz there are times when I dont expect anyhting more from a movie than just brainless entertainment...and this one is one of those...

Deepak Shenoy said...

I didn't watch Bunty and Babli because the trailer was such a load of bull. Actually all trailers are a load of bull. But this was a bull attacked by slime covered slugs who just came out of industrial waste.

The Indian Film Actors Name Spelling Association has asked me to tell you that it's "Rani" and "Bachchan". Not in the same name though. That would really be following in his father's footsteps if you know what I mean.

I saw Salaam Namaste four months back. I know because my sister went into labour six hours after the movie. We figured that was the last straw for the baby, something like "Look, if you're going to treat me to such stuff, I'm getting out of here".

Everyone's Right buttock is softer than the left one. Notice how scooter drivers and auto drivers will sometimes sit a little sideways? At a 45 degree angle to the direction they are going? They're always on their right buttock - the left one was too hard.

Anonymous said...

Is it because most people (men) carry their wallets in the back pockets on their right buttocks? The frequent sandwiching of the right buttock betwen the wallet and the surface of the seat they are sitting on (I am assuming that a lot of men sit on their asses for most of the day, like me).

I cannot believe that Saif's right buttock kindled up the scientific spirit in me!

-nj

gawker said...

The answer is because Saif is left-handed. When he wakes up every morning, he scratches his left buttock, leaving his right one in pristine condition.It is also the reason why his right testicle hangs higher than his left one.

Anonymous said...

B&B was useless except for Kajra re. And you are incorrigible

Beth Loves Bollywood said...

I loved B&B but, more importantly, I can't believe I've missed this excellent treaty on Saif Ali Khan's posterior. This is the kind of Bollywood gossip a girl can really use!