Monday, March 20, 2006

The two clocks

I have two clocks that are in dissonance. One is my alarm clock. I set it to go off at 6:15 every morning. The other is my body clock. My body clock is somewhat of an asshole. Every morning it wakes me up at 5:45 for no reason at all. So I get up, rub my eyes and stare at my alarm clock, trying to figure out what time it is. The alarm clock shows 5:45. And after that, my body clock goes back to sleep while I stay awake for the next 30 minutes, waiting for my alarm clock to ring. 'Cause when you know you've got to wake up in half an hour, all you can do is lie in bed without getting a blink of sleep, ears pricked, waiting for that goddamned ring.

So now I've come up with a solution. I fake out my body clock. I set my alarm clock to wake me up at 3:30 in the morning. When I wake up, I look at the clock and see that it's still night, that I can sleep for 3 more hours. And then I drift back into a contented slumber. At the same time, my body clock, which has woken up because of all the pandemonium, is still groggily lurching around, trying to adjust itself to whatever the fuck's happening. It gets all disoriented and shit. So when it finally falls back asleep, it forgets to wake me up at 5:45 as it usually does. And when I finally jump out of bed at 6:15 to the bugle-call of my alarm clock, it is with a bounce in step and a buoyancy of spirit that is peculiar to someone who's had a full night's worth of repose.

Body clocks are easy to fool. They are stupid bastards, really.

7 comments:

Deepak Shenoy said...

My body clock is set to the "Switch off the gawddamned alarm clock and go back to sleep" option so I wake up late every single day, without fail. To confuse my body clock I have to go to Europe. And even that works just for a couple days.

You're just plain lucky.

Anonymous said...

I pity your wife!

AG said...

He he.. Nice post..
My body clock becomes active only after a coupla snoozes..:).. Till then it will be deep asleep.. And its getting worse!! I need an alarm nowadays to get up even at 9.00 am in the morning!!!...

RobRoy said...

I prefer to get my body clock drunk. Of course, this means that I have to get my alarm clock drunk too, since they're friends and all. Then, when the three of us are all good and drunk, I call in sick.

Anonymous said...

have you ever thought of it from the poor alarm's clock point of view? :D

ano

gawker said...

deepak : its good to have a consistent schedule even if it involves being consistently late.

anjali : Nah, dont. She has the same problems with the alarm clock.

ajit : thank you. well, 9:00 isnt too bad. There was a period in my life when I used to get up at 10:00, go to work at 11:00.

robroy : I agree. alcoholism IS a disease. Pity that no employer recognizes it as such.

ano : hehe funny poem. But in a time of war, it is difficult to empathize with the other side's point of view.

Raj said...

So why don't you set the alarm clock at 6.45am, so that your body clock will wake you up at 6.15, which is the time you want to get up anyway?