Friday, March 13, 2009

Submarines

I wonder why more people in the US don't own a submarine. Americans like to be around water, in water, on water and aboard vehicles that travel through water. Most everybody in the US owns a boat. Why not own a submarine? It is way cooler than a boat. A boat can sink and it will be bye bye and off to the depths. And the people going bye bye will be the ones cruising around in the sub and waving.

What's the point of owning a boat? All it does is stay afloat. What's the big deal in staying afloat? I can't swim and I can still stay afloat. Just give me one a them parachute swim trunks. Diving is so much more difficult. I don't know how people can hold their breath underwater and still manage to fight each other in the movies. If I am underwater and merely think about the fact that I am underwater, I immediately go ahead and gulp down large amounts of swimming pool.

I think the point of owning a boat is more to do with the public display of free time and money than the actual enjoyment thereof. You can navigate your boat to another boat and chat it up with your boat-owner friend, both of you deriving satisfaction from the fact that the other knows that you own a boat. Difficult to do that in a submarine. "Hey Jack, haven't pinged you in a long time, where you been, over." "Yeah, had to surface for a while, had some stuff to do, over." "Well, it's good to see your blip on my sonar, how's the weather over there, over". "Weather's great, climate control holding up, CO2 scrubber working overtime if you know what I mean he he, over." "He he of course, well, gotta scoot, catch your wake later, over and out."

4 comments:

Bud-Wiser said...

he he..Why not a Hovercraft,,??

I mean, you can directly come out of the water, start driving on the land, and then go home :-)..!!

Anonymous said...

very valid point, that last one

Jeet said...

Not just that, won't it be difficult to carry the Sub all the way to Lake Tahoe (or some similar) subbing (if I may use that word) destination.

You already see an RV pulling a car and a boat during summer time.

gawker said...

chikki : Good point. I wonder why more of these vehicles haven't been manufactured for personal use.

Rukmani : Thank you. Now go buy a submarine.

Jeet : But if the sub is as small as a boat (a personal sub), why not?