Friday, August 24, 2007

Cutting chin

Hello razor blade manufacturer attempting to sell me your product on television,

If you are a man or a group of men, which I kind of doubt, you should know that we, men, are already quite apprehensive about applying sharp metal objects to our chins during the removal of facial hair. To take a particular case, namely mine, this is due to a constant awareness of the presence of my jugular vein somewhere in the vicinity of my neck. My lack of knowledge of its exact whereabouts doesn't help in dispelling the fear that I might somehow cause its destruction while shaving.

So keeping this in mind, I would like to tender some advice to you regarding your television spot. Your attempts to convince me to apply your particular brand of sharp metal to my skin would go a longer way if you were not to illustrate the sharpness of that very same metal by demonstrating the remarkable ease with which it slices through tin cans, bibles and a variety of assorted vegetables, the raw consumption of which would leave one with sore gums.

Since I am merely covered in skin and hair, I would not wish my razor to possess the ability to slice through metal and cardboard. Furthermore, I would even go so far as to suggest that I would like my razor to be as docile an organism as possible. In the event of a showdown between my razor and my skin, I would like my razor to back down. Instead, I would like to see my skin slice through my razor. I would want my razor to break in half and my skin to climb atop its prostrate body and bellow victoriously to the high heavens. That razor, show me that razor. I will buy that razor.

Look, men don't really care if hair gets trimmed during shaving or not. For us, the joy of shaving lies in the act of shaving itself. It is a ritual more symbolic than substantial, with very little utility value, kind of like sticking pins into an enemy doll or washing your hands after taking a whiz.

So anyways, quit wasting your time making sharper razors. Just give me what you already have.

4 comments:

Vinod Khare said...

Ha ha. Hilarious post. Imagine when ppl used to shave with glass shards!

RobRoy said...

It's not the sharpness of the razor that concerns me. It's the fact that these companies keep piling on extra blades, so that after the first three nick you, the next eight get to clean your skin straight to the bone.

gawker said...

vinod : Thank you. Yes, that must have been transparently painful.

robroy : One day I decided that I would stop at 3 blades. I have kept my promise and now I donate every 4th blade to Wolf Blitzer.

Oracle said...

can i quote you for my reaserch project on consumer feedback?

wait - respondent name : Curious Gawker
Source: A goose Egg .com

Lol sure my guide would trash it but what an amazing insight. lmao