Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Sell-out

I remember the day as well as the exact time of the day when I realized that I had turned into a sell-out. It was yesterday afternoon 3:00 pm and I was just about to write a blogpost on why I am not crazy about cricket anymore and why, when you think about it in an unbiased manner, the game kinda sucks.

And then luckily, a couple of seconds later, I realized that it would be a very foolish thing to do because I would get lynched in the blogosphere, ostracized in society and probably lose half my readership, 100% of which is, in all likelihood, a raving demented fan of the game, and then, in a delicious irony, the blog would fill with the chirping of crickets. Not to mention the fact that I would also lose my Indian citizenship and have to move to Antarctica because the US doesn't seem to particularly want me either. So out of these concerns, I scrapped my plan. And then a further couple of seconds later, I realized that I had become a sell-out. And now if anyone is interested, I have a kidney to sell as well and how about you abuse me as you're ripping it out of my body cavity because I have no more dignity or self-worth anymore.

10 comments:

RobRoy said...

You're also widely known as the only living heart donor. Given my understanding of your drinking habits, I think I would prefer lung . . . unless there's some smoking you haven't mentioned.

gawker said...

Yes, there is smoking that I haven't mentioned. But that was a while ago. With a new paint job and tune up I am sure my lungs could serve you well.

Anonymous said...

I know how you feel.
But the world cup is a once in four years deal. Just run with it, you won't get another opportunity till 2011.
Guaran-damn-teed there's gonna be some drama during the knockout stages.
Plus, when it ends, football season will only be four months away.

Anurag said...

The game sucks the big one now. I was a fanatic once, in a golden age when one got to see one international series every year. Now, series are copulating with each other, creating illegitimate series and countries whose only association with cricket is immigrants from the sub-continent (like me, who represented Malaysia in a tournament in Boston once, because all Indian seats were taken).

BTW, I may need your liver soon. Whatever condition it is in, I am sure it will be better than mine.

Anurag said...

I've decided to make friends on your comment space.

Hi RobRoy, how are you doing?

gawker said...

cyke : Yes, I guess we should give anything that appears once every 4 years the respect it deserves.

anurag : now, now, I didn't say the game sucks, I only said I was gonna say that the game sucks, but I didn't. But now that you did, you will probably have to go into witness protection. You can have my liver but it doesn't come with a dealer's warranty like my brain.

Yes, you should hang out with robroy. But keep a watchful eye on his hands, especially when they are within grabbing distance of your lungs.

RobRoy said...

Hi anurag, I'm fine. How are you?

Nevermind gawker, he's just mad that I have rejected his lungs in favor of other, prettier, younger and more fit lungs.

Kimberly El-Sadek said...

I like cricket, perhaps it was because when I was visiting your fair (or not so fair) city in India in '04 there was a series between India and Australia which was fascinating. I'm not an avid fan by any means, but I think cricket is far more interesting than baseball or golf, but not quite up to American football or basketball. Besides, just till the USCIS to hurry up and make you a citizen and then you won't have to make excuses any longer.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I don't think I like cricket that much either, and I LIVE IN INDIA ! And it is world cup season..
Heck, don't approve my comment...please !

Anonymous said...

so do you [also] get bored by the conversation always being dominated by cricket?